The Origins of the Scimitar

The Next Generation

What is the origin of the Scimitar

It was built purely by the Remans
7%
It was built mostly by the Remans, with some parts (thelaron weapon, cloak, etc) coming from other sources (please expand on which sources)
13%
It was built purely by the Romulans
33%
It was built mostly by the Romulans, with some parts (thelaron weapon, cloak, etc) added by the Remans/Shinzon
13%
It was built mostly by the Romulans, with some parts (thelaron weapon, cloak, etc) stolen/reverse engineered from other powers
No votes
It was captured from, or based on plans stolen from, other powers
20%
Other (please explain)
13%

Total votes: 15
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Origins of the Scimitar

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So, this is a question that's bounced around a lot, mostly as a rethorical question to point out the stupidity of NEM, but I don't think we've ever had any serious debate on the matter or reached any concensus. So, let's rectify that problem.

Simply enough, how do you think the Scimitar came into being? Who created it?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Origins of the Scimitar

Post by Praeothmin »

It was probably going to be the next big Romulan cruiser, to be used in the coup against the Federation, and then repossessed once Shinzon died.

I like the idea of Shinzon being a pawn of an obscure (as mentioned in the other thread), low-key part of the Romulan military, and it woul explain a lot of the "apparent" idiocies in NEMESIS.

Now, since the Federation knows about it, and the senate is in disarray, it might be difficult for them to rebuild one, or we may see more of this type of ship in the future...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I went with option "2," being Reman-built with the high-end stuff being nicked from the Romulans a/o whoever Shinzon might have fought in the war. With the seemingly large amount of mining/production which the Romulans entrusted to the Remans, I don't see the production of a warship being a stretch. (Especially if it were Romulan-licensed...)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I believe it was a Romulan vessel from the ground up, including the new cloaking device - the E-E had no clue the two Norexans were approaching even though they were scanning for cloaked vessels, which, to me, indicates that all new Romulan cloaks are improved.

And, I have a new hypothesis as to the apparent lack of the described weapons: watch the scene where Shinzon orders the Thaleron weapon fired again. The Reman officer can barely push the square button because his nails are too long. :lol:

"Fire all starboard disruptors!"

"Sorry, sir. I haven't had my manicure today!"

"Well, fire whatever you can get at!"
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I figured it to be a Dominion ship, that Shinzon captured in the Dominion War. Since the Remans were used as shock troopers, and Shinzon was supposed to have led several attacks, he could have gotten to a Dominion yard (that was building the ship) stolen the ship after it was mostly complete, downloaded as much of the database as he could, and destroyed the yard (so the plans and assembly tools are once again stuck in the Gamma Quadrant).

Given how much industry the Dominion was giving to the Cardassian Union (to turn them into the Dominion's local industrial center), I wouldn't be surprised if they included some extra data about larger ship hulls and planetary genocide technology.

The idea of the Romulans building a ship like that and just 'giving' it to somene who was enslaved by the Romulans for most of his life does not feel right.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I go with the Remans building it with secret aid of supplies and technology from a sector of the Romulan command/military.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm of the opinion that the Scimitar, and all of it's "toys" were part of a great big subterfuge. I can see some ambitious and devious Romulan "allowing" this tech to fall into Shinzon's hands to be built. Shinzon is pretty easy to manipulate after all with his obsessions, hatred, and insecurities. Plus, the regular Romulan Star Empire proper could never have gotten away with building that kind of a ship in complete secret.

Manipulate Shinzon, cultivate his insanity, allow him to "aquire" the needed tech and resources, and he'll build the damned thing himself with his Reman cohorts thinking how great and smart he is, how he'll make everybody pay for whats been done to him and his "friends" laughing "Muhahahahahahaha" the whole time. This makes Shinzon the perfect weapon. He doesn't even realise he's being wielded by someone else.

Plus as a bonus, the orchestrator (spelling fixed) of the whole thing has those two magic words. "Plausable Deniability"
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:...the orcistrater (spelling?)...
Orchestrator.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thanks. Now it at least looks like I graduated the.....

:::holds up three fingers:::

the fourth grade!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:spelling fixed
Mostly:
Mark wrote:Plausible
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:tongue:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:
Mark wrote:spelling fixed
Mostly:
Mark wrote:Plausible
I caught that, but I was busy. :lol: