Oberth Layout Issues

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Oberth Layout Issues

Post by Captain Seafort »

Even the Defiant is fairly spacious - a modern warship would have four or six people sleeping in about the same space the Defiant has two.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:Even the Defiant is fairly spacious - a modern warship would have four or six people sleeping in about the same space the Defiant has two.
I don't recall much about the Defiants quarters other than they had more folks crammed in there then normal and non of the quarters seemed to have anywhere to put your stuff. Oh and the CO slept in a regular room. :lol:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Who needs storage room on the Defiant, when you have replicators?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

To store the raw material for the replicators. Plus, I don't think a copy of your girlfriend's/fiancee's/wife's photo would be quite the same.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Who needs storage room on the Defiant, when you have replicators?
Uh, the crew are still going to have sentimental nick-nacks or other stuff that they like that they might want to store and why the fuck would you constantly waste time and energy replicating boots, uniforms, underwear and the plethora of other shit they need when you can do it once and put it in a drawer?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mark wrote:Who needs storage room on the Defiant, when you have replicators?
Uh, the crew are still going to have sentimental nick-nacks or other stuff that they like that they might want to store and why the f**k would you constantly waste time and energy replicating boots, uniforms, underwear and the plethora of other s**t they need when you can do it once and put it in a drawer?

Well, Defiant wasn't designed for long term missions, so how much crap would somebody REALLY bring along? I mean, at most we've seen them deployed for just a few months at a time. As for the clothing, we don't know HOW much power is used. I can't imagine that for a ship that is "overpowered", recycling uniforms in the replicator would be taxing, as opposed to having to have a laundry facility on a ship where space is premium.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:
Well, Defiant wasn't designed for long term missions, so how much crap would somebody REALLY bring along? I mean, at most we've seen them deployed for just a few months at a time. As for the clothing, we don't know HOW much power is used. I can't imagine that for a ship that is "overpowered", recycling uniforms in the replicator would be taxing, as opposed to having to have a laundry facility on a ship where space is premium.
They didn't even have a galley man, they had to eat rations, some how I get the impression that they were using the power for more important things. And frankly, you'd be amazed at the shite that people try and bring along during a "mission".
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Silly?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I guess the bunk idea makes sense for the Oberth; that way the lower section could be at least mostly automated.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Silly?
Pardon?
Yeah, I guess the bunk idea makes sense for the Oberth; that way the lower section could be at least mostly automated.
For a small, short range, short duration vessel, hell why not. We know from ST:III that a ship can be largely automated (Scotty's statement implied that it wouldn't have busted if he had more time), so in the case of the Oberth that one doesn't expect to do anything but look at stuff it should be fine.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I was asking about the stuff people try bringing on missions. Silly?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:I was asking about the stuff people try bringing on missions. Silly?
Yeah. I worked with a guy (the Troop Storesmen) that built a double mattress into his vehicle, at the cost of a good number of consumables so he could get a better sleep. A guy put a whole desktop PC into his barrack box (with a really small monitor) so he could play Red Alert in the CP. And so on.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

probably.

edit ^
definately
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

probably.

edit ^
definately
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm rather impressed that not only did you manage to double post, but you managed to double-edit.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"