Oberth Layout Issues

The Next Generation
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: We got another one

Post by kostmayer »

Aye, with no holodecks on board and long science expeditions, I reckon there'd be a few crew members making illicitit excursions up the Jeffries tube.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

:lol:
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:Its rather unlikely, but is there anything in Trek Canon that says the bridge is actually in the saucer section? Could the saucer contain engineering and the warp core, and the bridge be in the pod?
Not in canon per se, but one of Roddenberry's design rules was that the bridge gots to be on top.
Lazar wrote:Another possibility is that the two hulls are connected with Jefferies' Tubes. You can move from one hull to the other, but you'd have to have a pretty good reason to expend all that effort. ;)
I like that idea. I think it fits pretty well. And considering the relatively small crew size of such a small ship, there probably wouldn't be more than a double-handful of folks in the engineering hull at any one time anyway.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The Jefferies' Tube idea is the best explanation I've heard to date; a turbolift just couldn't reasonably fit into those scrawny pylons.

Oberth discussion split from Stitch's Admiralty thread.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Oberth Layout Issues

Post by Aaron »

Indeed. There is no reason other than sentiment why they would need a lift in the pylons, TOS had ladders all over the place between decks.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would make moving equipment to and from each section of the hull one hell of a bitch, though.

Jesus, who the hell designed that thing anyway?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:That would make moving equipment to and from each section of the hull one hell of a bitch, though.

1) They could always use transporters for that. Also, they could have a small "spare parts" bay in the saucer.

2) Morons. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Actually, it wouldn't have to even be inconvienient. Just turn off the gravity in the "tube", and float from one end to the other :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Actually, it wouldn't have to even be inconvienient. Just turn off the gravity in the "tube", and float from one end to the other :mrgreen:
You'd still have the issue of the size of the shaft.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mark wrote:Actually, it wouldn't have to even be inconvienient. Just turn off the gravity in the "tube", and float from one end to the other :mrgreen:
You'd still have the issue of the size of the shaft.
*sits on hands*
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:That would make moving equipment to and from each section of the hull one hell of a bitch, though.

When STIII came out a bunch of my friends and I (plus my father) just assumed the secondary hull was automated. I still like that explanation and it has the side benefit of making SF a little more awesome.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:You'd still have the issue of the size of the shaft.
That does always seem to be the issue, doesn't it? :lol:
kostmayer wrote:*sits on hands*
Don't cut off circulation for too long; you might need those hands for something at some point. :wink:
Cpl Kendall wrote:When STIII came out a bunch of my friends and I (plus my father) just assumed the secondary hull was automated. I still like that explanation and it has the side benefit of making SF a little more awesome.
Then you have the issue of accommodation; all 80 people in the saucer section would be rather close quarters.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Then you have the issue of accommodation; all 80 people in the saucer section would be rather close quarters.
*shrug* Is there some rule that SF ships have to have oodles of room?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cpl Kendall wrote:*shrug* Is there some rule that Kirk-era SF ships have to have oodles of room?
Fixed it for you. :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote: Fixed it for you. :wink:
:lol: Thanks. Seriously folks, take a look at the accommodations on a modern warship. Bunks stacked three high with your kit underneath and one (maybe two) locker for the rest. The Defiant is the best Trek example.