Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Oberth Layout Issues

Post by Lt. Staplic »

yup, that's skill there.

:doh:
sorry, must have doubled it when submitting the edit.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm curious, does anyone have the blueprints to this or to the Nova? I'm curious how things have changed, and Nova was said in a few online sources, to have been designed to replace the Oberth.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, they are both science vessels with little weaponry. So I can see that as reasonable.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Agreed and I've been throwing around a plot aboard a Nova for ages now.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bryan Moore wrote:I'm curious, does anyone have the blueprints to this or to the Nova? I'm curious how things have changed, and Nova was said in a few online sources, to have been designed to replace the Oberth.
I'd be surprised if that had ever been stated in canon, and I'd be wary of anyone who claims such, but it's the logical conclusion to draw. They certainly seem to fulfil the same role of a small, short-range, mass-produced science vessel.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:I'm curious, does anyone have the blueprints to this or to the Nova? I'm curious how things have changed, and Nova was said in a few online sources, to have been designed to replace the Oberth.
I'd be surprised if that had ever been stated in canon, and I'd be wary of anyone who claims such, but it's the logical conclusion to draw. They certainly seem to fulfil the same role of a small, short-range, mass-produced science vessel.
It's definitely not in canon, but ex-astris and a few other sites seem to take it as such.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's a logical theory. I'd be happy to accept it.

Seriously doubt any blueprints have been made of it, though.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Nothing official but someone has done fan blueprints of them.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

There is This, if you've got $20
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It's hard to make out but it looks like they have a lift in the pylons.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

So, what about the why of the whole thing? WHY is the ship built this way? Why this shape? To fit into the shape of a warp field? The Romulan D'Deridex class has the same issue. In fact, it seems like a much larger issue with the Romulan Warbird because that ship is so much bigger. "Captain, please come to engineering immediately!" "Ok, be there in about an hour!"

Rick Sternbach probably drew it and thought it looked neato with no actual thought about practicality. When ST III came out, they were probably also looking for a design that would be recognizable as Federation, but different than what had been seen before... The result is this.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Presumably it has a good shape for moving at warp, I'd assume.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Swapable secondary hull for mission specific kit?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That was always my assumption. Of course I tended to think the secondary hull was probably unmanned.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I don't see why shape would matter regarding warp speed. Look at the multitude of shapes represented by warp-capable ships throughout Trek. Even if shape does matter, these ships show that there are at least numerous different solutions to such a constraint.

I like the idea of an automated mission pod. The Grissom had a science pod, presumably... which would have had extensive sensory equipment, maybe some automated lab-test equipment... who knows. It doesn't have to be completely automated either. Maybe a few unlucky ensigns get to be stuck down in the secondary hull running tests and maintenance.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage