Oberth Layout Issues

The Next Generation
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Oberth Layout Issues

Post by Lazar »

Aw, what a cute fleet that would be. :lol: But I always wondered how they managed to go from the primary hull to the secondary hull.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: We got another one

Post by kostmayer »

Maybe it was impossible without going outside the ship. The Engineering crew and the Science Crew were doomed to spend the whole voyage seperated, but every now and then two determined crew members would don their spacesuits to dance together in their magnetic boots on the hull beneath the naked starlight.

Or they used site to site transport.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think door number two is more likely, though much less dramatic.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

BTW, Bernd has an article dealing with the size of the Oberth; I've seen wildly varying deck counts in fan made blueprints.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:BTW, Bernd has an article dealing with the size of the Oberth; I've seen wildly varying deck counts in fan made blueprints.
Wow, what a mess. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

WRT people getting from the primary hull to the secondary hull in the Oberth, what's stopping them putting a lift in each of the nacelle pylons?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Based on the approximate size of the Oberth (not counting its appearence next to the Faragut in Generations, where it was badly shrunk), there isn't enough room for power cables fuel cables and a turbolift.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Just stay where you are. Who needs all that travel?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

tbh, I can see the designers having a single turbolift tube running between the two right in the center of the ship where we can't see it (b/c it'd look like a string from the distance), just begging some enemy to hit it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

If that were the turbolift, they might as well just have an airlock, an EVA suit, and an ensign waiting to give you a push.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Yeah, I guess the question of whether you could put turboshafts there depends on how big you consider the ship to be. And then the turbolift would need to have room to tilt when it entered the pylon.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

What was actually in that area?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

What area, the pylon?
Most likly power and fuel transfer cables.
If your refering to the pod thing, most likely all of the fuel, the cargo bays, the main computer or posibley the warp core.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

In "The Pegasus", The Pegasus was half contained in rock. From what I can tell on screen, most of the saucer section was outside the rock, and more then half the pod was inside. It's stated in the episode that most of main engineering was inside the asteroid. That suggests to me that main engineering, and the warp core was also down there - Riker stated earlier that they were doing tests on the warp core when there was an explosion in engineering, I'm guessing thats where the warp core would be.

If that area is manned, would it be neccesary for there to be access to the saucer section. It would be possible to have 2 crews on board, one in the saucer section and one in the pod section. Probably not very pleasant, but I can't see there being much room for recreational facilities about a ship that size anyways.

Looking at the DITL Size chart page, I'd say the Pod area would be about Aircraft Carrier size, possibly smaller, though I'd imagine most of that space would be given over to the propulsion systems and fuel storage.

Its rather unlikely, but is there anything in Trek Canon that says the bridge is actually in the saucer section? Could the saucer contain engineering and the warp core, and the bridge be in the pod?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Another possibility is that the two hulls are connected with Jefferies' Tubes. You can move from one hull to the other, but you'd have to have a pretty good reason to expend all that effort. ;)