The attack on the E-C

The Next Generation
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The attack on the E-C

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I see the Romulans as being reactionate. you build one type, they design another to beat it.
They seem to have fallen behind, then, in the DS9/TNG movie era - the Valdore type seems weak as a response to the latest Fed designs and the Negh'Var class
The Romulans, near the later stages of their empire is on its road to collapse. The big and lengthy D'Deridex ships were ineffective both in resource intensiveness and in combat operations of the war. The RSE is leading toward smaller, more purposely designed ships which are better equipped to combat. besides, the Valdore isn't a battleship. I see her being a Light cruiser or even a heavy destroyer.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I don't think that's what the Valdores are for. Up to Nemesis the Romulan fleet basically consisted of a shuttle design, a scout/science ship design, and a honking great battleship design. I think the Valdores are intended as midsize ships to give the Rom fleet more flexibility. They aren't there to challenge Sovereigns and such IMO, they're there to be the Romulan Excelsior/Miranda/Akira type.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Reliant121 wrote:The Romulans, near the later stages of their empire is on its road to collapse. The big and lengthy D'Deridex ships were ineffective both in resource intensiveness and in combat operations of the war. The RSE is leading toward smaller, more purposely designed ships which are better equipped to combat. besides, the Valdore isn't a battleship. I see her being a Light cruiser or even a heavy destroyer.
(just a question) Are you then positing that there exist other, unseen new Romulan designs other than those they sent to aid the Big E? I hate to even approach the question of whether a (de-tlaron-ed) Scimitar type would be their uber warship ( :shock: )
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Graham: they do seem to be well suited for that role, then. We've all been wondering about the oddly homogeneous nature of the Romulan fleet for some time now, after all.

DO they have a response to the Sov (neglecting the 800 lb Gorilla in the room...)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:The Romulans, near the later stages of their empire is on its road to collapse. The big and lengthy D'Deridex ships were ineffective both in resource intensiveness and in combat operations of the war. The RSE is leading toward smaller, more purposely designed ships which are better equipped to combat. besides, the Valdore isn't a battleship. I see her being a Light cruiser or even a heavy destroyer.
(just a question) Are you then positing that there exist other, unseen new Romulan designs other than those they sent to aid the Big E? I hate to even approach the question of whether a (de-tlaron-ed) Scimitar type would be their uber warship ( :shock: )
Nahh. The Romulans have never had a need for a smaller warship. Their ships were psychological weapons just as much as actual ones. When people started realizing they arent actually all that tough, they needed to change.

I think the Romulans would start a "New initiative" of ships, replacing the old fleet and making a better use of the limited resources they have. keep in mind, however, that after the Reman Incursion, the Senate was obliterated and the Romulan political system was in absolute disarray (Titan novels, not canon but i see it happening).
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
That said, this was the alternate Battleship E-D, developed after twenty years of warfare with the Klingons. I'd imagine it would outgun the regular E-D by twofold or more, easily. So yeah, I can imagine it comfortably taking on four warbirds. Especially if they'd already taken some damage and especially with the C along to help.
Its a bit strange that the ship would have the exact same exterior isn't it? OOU it makes sense of course.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

SteveK wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
That said, this was the alternate Battleship E-D, developed after twenty years of warfare with the Klingons. I'd imagine it would outgun the regular E-D by twofold or more, easily. So yeah, I can imagine it comfortably taking on four warbirds. Especially if they'd already taken some damage and especially with the C along to help.
Its a bit strange that the ship would have the exact same exterior isn't it? OOU it makes sense of course.
I agree; you'd think the Galaxy-class wouldn't have been built at all, replaced by a more combat-oriented design.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah. The alternate E-D should have looked something like a heavily scaled up Defiant, I imagine.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

got to love limits on the budget
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

got to love limits on the budget
Easy two minute solution; the Galaxy project had been in development either before the start of the war or shortly into it and they just changed it's insides and saved the hull design to save time/cash.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

possably, however the E-C helped to end the tension that was there since TOS (AFAIK), even if the war didn't start until "after" the beginnning of the Galaxy Program, one would think the intence war-like attitudes between the two would spawn a much less GCS looking ship.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think alot of it comes down to the RSE is just to spread out to really match the UFP or KDF. They're most likely over taken by the troubles on their borders mixed with troubles at home mixed with trouble from the newer powers that may soon step up. Thats a tough place to be in.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Is the "Warbird" an actual class, or a generic reference to Romulan ships in general?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Is the "Warbird" an actual class, or a generic reference to Romulan ships in general?
I think it really is just a generic thing for whatever reason. Perhaps referring to the most powerful Romulan class of the time.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It may also have been a basic model classifacation. Much like BoPs are more then a single type, same as Star Destroyers. Both range from smaller patrol ships to full scale ships of the line.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu