4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Roga Danar

Post by Tsukiyumi »

"Computer, what's the ship's self-destruct code?"

"Access to that information is classified."

"Um, please tell me?"

"The authorization code is Alpha-three-zero-three."
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Why? Because to be believable, we would need to believe that SOP on the state-of-the-art UFP flagship is to have internal sensors to detect an organisms relatively tiny bio-electric field, but not crazy stuff like heat, mass, etc.
Why would it have them at all? Yes, we know the ship has internal sensors but it seems most of the crew tracking is done via comm badge and the ship may simply have not been designed to track others, you're not supposed to have folks running around unattended you know. Now that aside, Roga Danar was an engineered soldier, he may have been able to briefly limit his IR signature and we already know that screwy electrical signals disrupt sensors. He certainly did a bunch of other interesting stuff and he did sabotage the ship.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its just another time in which the UFP has failed.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'd love it if all this was true, it would make Roga Danar more of a badass and he's already the most badass "guy of the week" in Trek.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Why? Because to be believable, we would need to believe that SOP on the state-of-the-art UFP flagship is to have internal sensors to detect an organisms relatively tiny bio-electric field, but not crazy stuff like heat, mass, etc.
Why would it have them at all? Yes, we know the ship has internal sensors but it seems most of the crew tracking is done via comm badge and the ship may simply have not been designed to track others, you're not supposed to have folks running around unattended you know. Now that aside, Roga Danar was an engineered soldier, he may have been able to briefly limit his IR signature and we already know that screwy electrical signals disrupt sensors. He certainly did a bunch of other interesting stuff and he did sabotage the ship.
All true. But the fact remains that internal sensors were available to detect a single humanoid's bioelectric field - unlinked to comm badge tracking - but not to the most basic and easily detectable signs of life. I never said that there couldn't be a reason for Danar to avoid detection; my comment was directed toward the idiocy of having internal personnel detection base ONLY on bio-electric detection.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
All true. But the fact remains that internal sensors were available to detect a single humanoid's bioelectric field - unlinked to comm badge tracking - but not to the most basic and easily detectable signs of life. I never said that there couldn't be a reason for Danar to avoid detection; my comment was directed toward the idiocy of having internal personnel detection base ONLY on bio-electric detection.

Perhaps the design team was fond of over-complicated solutions or IR is easily spoofed in Trek.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sorry to look at these backwards, but -
Cpl Kendall wrote:or IR is easily spoofed in Trek.
That could have made sense, if it was explained with even a one-liner. Danar was engineered to be a commando - it would be easy to say that he could biologically control his heat signature, or found a mechanical way to mask it.
Cpl Kendall wrote:Perhaps the design team was fond of over-complicated solutions
This, unfortunately, is the explanation that seems to fit with the rest of 'Trek-dom.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps the design team was fond of over-complicated solutions
I think it's safe to say that someone in R&D had a hard-on for using ridiculously complex stuff.
Seriously, have you ever seen someone fixing things with a hammer? Or cleaning a coridor with a mop and bucket?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Schrodinger's Hat
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Schrodinger's Hat »

I'd love to see that. Just once, I'd love to see the ship faced with some kind of engineering problem and very little time to solve it... and the solution turns out to be Geordi or someone just picking up a ten-pound sledge and going to town. Hell, if I were a Starfleet engineer, I'd keep a sledgehammer and a fire axe in my office just on general principles... y'know, in case we ran into one of those "out of control ship's system" problems that seem to keep cropping up.
Warning: Erwin Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Better watch out, though; you hit a console with that sledge, and you'll set off all the plastic explosives built into it. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

He didn't say HE would hit it. Thats what the redshirts are for.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Schrodinger's Hat
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Schrodinger's Hat »

Exactly. A good chief engineer should know how to delegate.
Last edited by Schrodinger's Hat on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: Erwin Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hell, the UFP could employ whole penal legions. It would be like how the Russians used to clear minefields by sending deserters to walk through to either find or clear a path through, but in space!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Schrodinger's Hat wrote:I'd love to see that. Just once, I'd love to see the ship faced with some kind of engineering problem and very little time to solve it... and the solution turns out to be Geordi or someone just picking up a ten-pound sledge and going to town. Hell, if I were a Starfleet engineer, I'd keep a sledgehammer and a fire axe in my office just on general principles... y'know, in case we ran into one of those "out of control ship's system" problems that seem to keep cropping up.
Didn't O'Brien fix the transporter and beam Odo to safety during the DS9 pilot by kicking the console to get it working?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

kostmayer wrote:Didn't O'Brien fix the transporter and beam Odo to safety during the DS9 pilot by kicking the console to get it working?
Yes. Maybe the more rugged Cardassian panels could better withstand the ultimate low-tech fix than the more sophisticated but delicate and C4-rigged SF panels. :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who