Roga Danar

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Roga Danar

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The solider/prisoner from The Hunted: How can he be undetectable? He has mass and occupies volume, which cannot be hidden; he is a heat source (he can't hide that without violating the laws of thermodynamics), he takes in O2 and releases CO2, etc.

These questions probably have no good answer except for :Q but this raises the question, just what are the "life signs" the ship detects and how are they sensed? As for why the above aren't simply tracked... one more bit of SF idiocy brings us to - Graham? Seafort? What's the official count? :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Roga Danar

OK, so Dr Crusher just chimed in with a note that his cells have a substance which blocks electrical impulses from sensors; this would at least make sense from the standpoint of muscular (esp cardiac) impulses, brain waves, etc. However, the stuff from the OP are still there.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

The short and simple answer is that the E-D's internal sensors aren''t designed to pick up any of that. And he spent a good amount of time crawling through the ductwork and IIRC he blew up or otherwise sabotaged her systems while doing so.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:The short and simple answer is that the E-D's internal sensors aren''t designed to pick up any of that. And he spent a good amount of time crawling through the ductwork and IIRC he blew up or otherwise sabotaged her systems while doing so.
Right; I'm asking, "why not?" Following my other recent post in the General forum on Trek computers, shouldn't the computer be smart enough to recognize that there's something there that is hot but that isn't electrically active? The sensors can pick up so much that detecting a massive object and sensing heat should be no problem, so the idea that there are no sensors for these things isn't believable.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Right; I'm asking, "why not?" Following my other recent post in the General forum on Trek computers, shouldn't the computer be smart enough to recognize that there's something there that is hot but that isn't electrically active? The sensors can pick up so much that detecting a massive object and sensing heat should be no problem, so the idea that there are no sensors for these things isn't believable.
Why is it unbelievable?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Why is it unbelievable?
Heat, for one thing, is so simple to detect it's silly - even today it's a breeze to make infrared pictures. In light of how much else they can detect, I'd find it very odd if they couldn't detect something as simple as heat. Besides, it's a matter of security - not to mention a critical part of the environment. The fact they have fire suppression systems that have been observed on screen implies that they must have heat sensors to detect fires too; it'd be a simple matter to make them tunable if you're already installing environmental and fire detectors.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Heat, for one thing, is so simple to detect it's silly - even today it's a breeze to make infrared pictures. In light of how much else they can detect, I'd find it very odd if they couldn't detect something as simple as heat. Besides, it's a matter of security - not to mention a critical part of the environment. The fact they have fire suppression systems that have been observed on screen implies that they must have heat sensors to detect fires too; it'd be a simple matter to make them tunable if you're already installing environmental and fire detectors.
Yes it is possible, though a fire detector is a little more simple then an IR camera but that doesn't mean there was ever a requirement to have such things on the ship.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They could have recalibrated the sensors to detect other things. Hell, in TOS they were able to use the sensors to detect and then eliminate the entire ships crews heartbeat. Either they "just didn't think of it" or chalk it up to plot power again.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Well, if I wanted to be harsh, I could direct you to the "Star Trek mistakes" series. :)
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:::GASP:::

STAR TREK MISTAKES???? It's a LIE!!! A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laughroll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Why is it unbelievable?
Why? Because to be believable, we would need to believe that SOP on the state-of-the-art UFP flagship is to have internal sensors to detect an organisms relatively tiny bio-electric field, but not crazy stuff like heat, mass, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lazar wrote:Well, if I wanted to be harsh, I could direct you to the "Star Trek mistakes" series. :)
:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't find it too unbelievable. Detecting stuff on board might not be one of the standard tasks of the ship's computer, thus requiring a crewman to specificaly order it to start scanning the ship's insides.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Rochey wrote:I don't find it too unbelievable. Detecting stuff on board might not be one of the standard tasks of the ship's computer, thus requiring a crewman to specificaly order it to start scanning the ship's insides.
Given how much 'fun' he was causing the bridge, if they didn't think of that, they were morons.

Not only that, but look how much room there was in those Jeffries 'tubes'. Roga Danar was able to walk around in one easily, none of this crawling nonsense we usually see. I could also comment on the computer security, where Danar had the knocked out guy tap his own comm badge, and Danar ordered the computer to shut down the forcefields. It at least raised an alert on the bridge, but the fact that the computer accepts unknown voices and gives them command access is a bad sign.

Plus the way that all external sensors went through one junction box (primary and backup) is rather annoying. That is the other problem - how did Danar manage to get full schematics of the Ent-D to know where to cripple the ship with as little effort as possible?

Of course, I am a bit proud that Worf's nose wasn't use to smell Danar in the cargo bay, when he was hiding under the crates.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given how much 'fun' he was causing the bridge, if they didn't think of that, they were morons.
You can never rule out blatant stupidity as an option when dealing with Starfleet.
Not only that, but look how much room there was in those Jeffries 'tubes'. Roga Danar was able to walk around in one easily, none of this crawling nonsense we usually see. I could also comment on the computer security, where Danar had the knocked out guy tap his own comm badge, and Danar ordered the computer to shut down the forcefields. It at least raised an alert on the bridge, but the fact that the computer accepts unknown voices and gives them command access is a bad sign.
Aye, dumb on so many different levels.
Plus the way that all external sensors went through one junction box (primary and backup) is rather annoying. That is the other problem - how did Danar manage to get full schematics of the Ent-D to know where to cripple the ship with as little effort as possible?
Presumably he got them from the computer. It's not like anyone ever has any trouble breaking into UFP computers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"