Was Shinzon a Pawn?

The Next Generation
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Was Shinzon a Pawn?

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I like the explanation Shatner used in Captain's Blood (i think that was it): They're discussing Shinzon's rebellion and wondering how a slave managed to build and crew an uber-ship, and Worf provides the obviousl explanation: "Someone who is not a slave gives it to him."

So yes, I'd say Shinzon was a pawn and if they did a sequel from that angle it would be great.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So yes, I'd say Shinzon was a pawn and if they did a sequel from that angle it would be great.
If for whatever reason the did do a sequel then yes it would make sense. I would like to see a movie that covers more then just the TNG class reunion.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:
If for whatever reason the did do a sequel then yes it would make sense. I would like to see a movie that covers more then just the TNG class reunion.
It'd be nice wouldn't it. Heck, I'd take a made-for-TV movie or miniseries for Post-Nemesis Trek.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

sorry to be the party pooper, however we have canon evidence that Shinzon and his army built the Scimitar themselves in secrete. :(
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Lt. Staplic wrote:sorry to be the party pooper, however we have canon evidence that Shinzon and his army built the Scimitar themselves in secrete. :(
What is the evidence? If Shizon said it, that could simply be misinformation on his part.

Then again, there would have been little reason to lie, would there? If Shizon and the Remans somehow built this technological terror on their own that makes yet another stupid element to the movie.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

katefan wrote:What is the evidence? If Shizon said it, that could simply be misinformation on his part.

Then again, there would have been little reason to lie, would there?
Of course there would - to brag about the technological skills of the Remans, justifiably or not.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, he's hardly going to say "yeah, my supporters are a bunch of backwards barbarians and I had to steal all the good stuff from my enemy".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

take it how you want, I just thought I should inform you that we know have a canon quote that Shinzon built the Scimitar in secrete. the quote comes while he and Picard are meeting in the Romulan Senate, near the end of the conversation.

I personally don't see any reason to lie there, he's trying to get to know Picard, and there's no one else around to impress. He would know that something like that wouldn't really impress Picard so...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I personally don't see any reason to lie there, he's trying to get to know Picard, and there's no one else around to impress. He would know that something like that wouldn't really impress Picard so...
Well, seeing as how he wasn't totally honest with Picard...
I mean, after all, he didn't tell him he was going to try and steal his blood, or that he was the one who left B-4 where he was found, or about the Thalaron weapon, so why the heck should we believe anything he tells Picard about how the ship was built?
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. He's hardly the height of honesty. He could have said it just to make his achievements sound more impressive.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Or simply to hide his Romulan Masters' part in his plans/actions...

If this was secretly planned by some Romulan military faction, I'm sure they impressed upon Shinzon how important secrecy was.
Since Shinzon was pretty good at deception, and proved himself duplicitous, I see no reason to accept his claims at face value.
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:sorry to be the party pooper, however we have canon evidence that Shinzon and his army built the Scimitar themselves in secrete. :(
I'm very much aware of that quote, and it has been running through my head during this debate, but if we assume the Romulan's are competent (and there's no reason we shouldn't), the likelyhood of an army's-worth of slaves managing to disappear and build or steal an uber-ship is astronomically low.

And he did seem very much like he was posturing, he wants Picard to think of him as the Golden Boy, competent, in charge, ready to work for peace and what have you. He'd need to appear strong to be accepted as a real leader. Or something like that.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Shinzon doesn't strike me as the kind of nutjob to "serve" anybody. But he DOES strike me as a perfect unwitting "dupe".
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.