Galaxy Class, Separated Mode

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Galaxy Class, Separated Mode

Post by Bryan Moore »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:...since the Prometheus has ship stats for both docked and separated mode, he should consider doing the same for the Galaxy-class...
People keep saying this, but I can only find the docked stats. Am I missing something? :?

As to the Galaxy, I imagine the stats would go something like this:

Galaxy saucer (seperated)

Beam firepower: 500
Torpedo firepower: 0
Range/accuracy: 1000
Shield strength: 250
Hull/Armor: 500
Speed: 0.033
Combat Maneuverability: 200

Overall: 330

Galaxy stardrive (seperated)

Beam firepower: 400
Torpedo firepower: 1000
Range/accuracy: 1000
Shield strength: 500
Hull/Armor: 500
Speed: 1000
Combat Maneuverability: 1100

Overall: 700
I'm game with this, but why only 500 for the hull/armor? Isn't this a rating of the hull's strength?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah they should both be 1000, or maybe the engineering hull is slightly less if the uncovered section is less.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd think that there would be a larger increase in maneuverability for the stardrive section.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:I'd think that there would be a larger increase in maneuverability for the stardrive section.
I'm game with that. What about shield strength? MUCH less area to shield too. Upon furhter reflection, might we wanna boost that too?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Probably - but we don't know how many shield generators/emitters were containe in the saucer.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well then, the consensus seems to be that the GCS would be more effective when separated. Interesting.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Only down side, and its a very small one, is that it looks less intimidating. Up against a enemy like the Romulans that does count for something.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Tasha Yar herself claimed that the Enterpise D was a more formidable weapon when relieved of the bulky Saucer Section.

It does beg the question - why did we not see more seperated Galaxy class ships in the Dominion War.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They might have made the saucer more of a asset.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that most of the civilian space is probably in the saucer, and also given that such facilities would likely be replaced with military equipment, it's quite likely that the saucer is an asset rather than a liability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Tasha Yar herself claimed that the Enterpise D was a more formidable weapon when relieved of the bulky Saucer Section.
Have you got a source for that? Riker felt that against the Borg separating the saucer would make the ship weaker, as it would loose the saucer impulse engines.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

My mistake - it was Worf in "Heart of Glory", whilst giving the Klingons a tour. I thought at first it was Tasha Yar in Code of Honor.

"When relieved of its bulk, the Enterprise becomes an exceptional weapon."
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."