The Next Generation
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Quick Review - "The Most Toys"

Post by Grundig »

from TNG, Season 3

Of course, there are SPOILERS ahead.

Data is captured by a rich, sneaky bastard who collects things. His captor tries to get Data to cooperate with him - submit to being a part of his collection. I really like that Data exercises passive resistance throughout the episode; it's a good example of how effective it can be. Towards the end, though, it's not enough, and Data starts throwing henchman every which way (which is always fun to see). Data's Captor kills one of his own crew because she helps Data escape. Then, there's a moment of truth as Data picks up a torturously lethal weapon and aims it at his captor. The Captor doesn't think Data has it in him to pull the trigger - and naturally, O'Brien beams Data to safety at the most dramatic moment possible. Turns out that Data has the balls after all, and the weapon is deactivated mid-transport. This is the another thing I love about the episode - Data fights back. He pulled that damn trigger! Rock on Data! It reveals a lot about Data's character; while he respects all forms of life, he is capable of defending himself, even if it means taking up arms. Of course he isn't taking revenge or acting out of anger, so the fact that his ethics program allows him to kill in this situation is an interesting message. Overall, Data's handling of the whole situation is terrific, and the episode exemplifies many of the things I love about Data.

Other episodes on this particular DVD:
Hollow Pursuits
Sarek
Menage a Troi

A terrific grouping if you ask me. All from season 3 too, which is alot better than I remembered!
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Quick Review - "The Most Toys"

Post by kostmayer »

One of my favourite episodes, mostly due to a brilliant performance from Saul Rubinek. One of those actors who manages to be great in pretty much everything he does.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Agreed. Great performance! He seems very familiar, too.

Now, I'm watching "Sarek." Talk about great performances! This episode is completely amazing!
John Cage
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

He should, he's been in quite a few things.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

There were some great parts in "The Most Toys" I've admittedly enjoyed the episode a lot more for the fact that it gave us the Varon-T disruptor, which was a killer artifact in the old Star Trek Customizable Card Game =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, this was a good one.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And now you can go post the review on the main site if you like, Grundig :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I liked it too. The very human facility and deviousness which Data displayed at the end was great.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

GrahamKennedy wrote:And now you can go post the review on the main site if you like, Grundig :)
Done and Done.
John Cage
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sweet. :) Striker should copy and paste all of his TOS reviews as well. I might do a few DS9 reviews myself, if I can find any more to watch.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Sweet. :) Striker should copy and paste all of his TOS reviews as well. I might do a few DS9 reviews myself, if I can find any more to watch.
I might just do that...
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Grundig wrote:from TNG, Season 3

Of course, there are SPOILERS ahead.

Data is captured by a rich, sneaky b*****d who collects things. His captor tries to get Data to cooperate with him - submit to being a part of his collection. I really like that Data exercises passive resistance throughout the episode; it's a good example of how effective it can be. Towards the end, though, it's not enough, and Data starts throwing henchman every which way (which is always fun to see). Data's Captor kills one of his own crew because she helps Data escape. Then, there's a moment of truth as Data picks up a torturously lethal weapon and aims it at his captor. The Captor doesn't think Data has it in him to pull the trigger - and naturally, O'Brien beams Data to safety at the most dramatic moment possible. Turns out that Data has the balls after all, and the weapon is deactivated mid-transport. This is the another thing I love about the episode - Data fights back. He pulled that damn trigger! Rock on Data! It reveals a lot about Data's character; while he respects all forms of life, he is capable of defending himself, even if it means taking up arms. Of course he isn't taking revenge or acting out of anger, so the fact that his ethics program allows him to kill in this situation is an interesting message. Overall, Data's handling of the whole situation is terrific, and the episode exemplifies many of the things I love about Data.

Other episodes on this particular DVD:
Hollow Pursuits
Sarek
Menage a Troi

A terrific grouping if you ask me. All from season 3 too, which is alot better than I remembered!
Haven't seen this episode in years but right at the end when he goes to fry Kivas Fajo and O'Brien pulls him out just before, doesn't Data effectively lie about his intent? Really interesting to show Data as capable of deception.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Yeah, it was a bit shady on Data's part. All the more reason I liked the episode... Maybe it says something about me that I'm liking all this moral ambiguity.
John Cage
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Well, Data does say "perhaps" - as in "Maybe it did, maybe it didn't". He does have Quantum on his side.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:Well, Data does say "perhaps" - as in "Maybe it did, maybe it didn't". He does have Quantum on his side.
It was still a lie, though - he pulled that trigger. Of course, I would have as well; the bastard deserved it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939