Most accurate EE blueprints?

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Most accurate EE blueprints?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I sentance you both to 30 days of watching Threshold. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

:lol: ,
So Rochey how's that math comming?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Also, doesn't the Sov have a pretty clear separation plane, even labeled as such on some of the final drawings? And if so, what's up with the stardrive section not having impulse engines? Maybe the explanation is that the ship is so kickass (and lacking in civilians) that it would never have to separate for combat purposes, so they harkened back to the Connie in having saucer separation only when the stardrive section had to be ditched?
Last edited by Lazar on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:Also, doesn't the Sov have a pretty clear separation plane, even labeled as such on some of the final drawings? And if so, what's up with the stardrive section not having impulse engines? Maybe the explanation is that the ship is so kickass (and lacking in civilians) that it would never have to separate for combat purposes, so they harkened back to the Connie in having saucer separation only when the stardrive section had to be ditched?
Actually, the designer said he designed it with separation in mind. Here
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

But from that, you get the impression that the stardrive section could function on its own. :?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

that makes sence...yes the Sovereign has seperation capability (non-canon sources) If you read Portal, Graham demonstrates this ability.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:But from that, you get the impression that the stardrive section could function on its own. :?
No reason it couldn't. It's still got the warp drive, the main power generation facility and maneuvering thrustser at the very least.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

he's got a point.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

But it would be a sitting duck when it wasn't at warp.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

not necessairaly, the maneuvering thrusters would give it some maneuverability, but there's no reason it has to stay and fight if it's got warp drive.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:But it would be a sitting duck when it wasn't at warp.
Perhaps the nacelles are (technobabbled) in some way to provide sub-warp thrust. Again, the hull should still have maneuvering thrusters but we really don't know how much power they can take. We've never seen forward-facing impulse engines and yet when captains cry out "full reverse" or "all stop" something (albeit unseen) has to provide reverse thrust, perhaps the engineering hull is equipped with the same feature?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

me,myself and I wrote:Perhaps the nacelles are (technobabbled) in some way to provide sub-warp thrust.
Well I remember in Sulu's epic acceleration scene in TMP, they seemed to have <1 warp factors, and I've always wondered to what extent (if any) warp engines could be used for sublight flight.
We've never seen forward-facing impulse engines and yet when captains cry out "full reverse" or "all stop" something (albeit unseen) has to provide reverse thrust, perhaps the engineering hull is equipped with the same feature?
I've always just chalked that up to :Q. I mean, in reality, wouldn't a ship have to turn around and fire its main thrusters in the opposite direction? Of course, I think many scifi writers really need to attend Spaceships Are Not Boats or Airplanes 101.
Last edited by Lazar on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:
We've never seen forward-facing impulse engines and yet when captains cry out "full reverse" or "all stop" something (albeit unseen) has to provide reverse thrust, perhaps the engineering hull is equipped with the same feature?
I've always just chalked that up to :Q. I mean, in reality, wouldn't a ship have to turn around and fire its main thrusters in the opposite direction?
Unless they had forward facing engines like the scimitar, yes, yes they would.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

actualy now that you say that, the warp engines should be able to provide sublight propulsion. by warping the space to a degree less that that of Warp 1.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:actualy now that you say that, the warp engines should be able to provide sublight propulsion. by warping the space to a degree less that that of Warp 1.
Fair point.