The Next Generation
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Most accurate EE blueprints?

Post by Lt. Staplic »

thanks...ps I hate simultaneous posts :madashell:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not too sure of the canonical status of the Sov's seperation ability. It was never seen or mentioned in the show itself, and by looking at the ship and the placement of the engines, etc, I doubt the final model has that ability.

Besides, seperation would be utterly pointless for such a ship in the first place. You could perhaps make a case for it being on the jack-of-all-trades GCS, but for a dedicated warship it's just plain dumb.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:I'm not too sure of the canonical status of the Sov's seperation ability. It was never seen or mentioned in the show itself, and by looking at the ship and the placement of the engines, etc, I doubt the final model has that ability.

Besides, seperation would be utterly pointless for such a ship in the first place. You could perhaps make a case for it being on the jack-of-all-trades GCS, but for a dedicated warship it's just plain dumb.
Well, inasmuch as it was never seen in the show it is *not* canon, but again, we have the words of the designer saying he made up how it would work. And we've just gone through how/why the engineering hull could be propelled.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, but it's still a pointless and utterly useless feature for the Sov. It has no reason to use it, and probably never will.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

There's even some guy who thinks that the Intrepid has saucer separation. :?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Rochey wrote: It has no reason to use it, and probably never will.
It did in Portal! :wink:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's even some guy who thinks that the Intrepid has saucer separation. :?
After seeing the 16KM E-E, nothing surprises me anymore. :)
It did in Portal! :wink:
Um, so?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

It was just a joke.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's conceivable that the saucer section could have pop out impulse engines that emerge from the hull. Not a great idea designwise, but it's certainly within the bounds of possibility.

Option 2, they may have come up with a way to make the warp drive useable at impulse speeds too. I proposed this for a ship I designed once; I called them WHIP drives, for Warp Hybrid Impulse Propulsion.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Using the warp drives to run STL isn't that bad an idea. I believe there was a discussion on it somewhere around here recently (damned if I can remember where, though).
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I believe we theorized that the Romulans must do that, as they have no visible impulse engines.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As I recall, the TNG tech manual even says this is possible, but that it is a good deal less efficient than using a dedicated impulse drive. I think the impetus for that was the Motion Picture, where they drop out of warp but are still going at Warp 0.8.

Perhaps they found a way to reduce that inefficiency with the Sovereign engines, making it feasible for emergency use.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Just a thought GK........you ever think of adding internal blueprints to the main site?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

That would be great. Add another link to the ships page to link you to the Blue prints.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

PROBLEM SOLVED?!?!

Ok, I know these blueprints are non-canonical but I think this is the most plausible explanation, if we are to assume that the spot that the yacht resides on is not modular and does in fact somehow contain the torpedo tube AND the yacht:

EDIT: Dang, right click>view all to see what I'm talking about. :?

I'M NOT CRAZY!!!! :lol: