YOU are involved in the events of INS

The Next Generation

What would you do in Picard's place?

Help the Ba'ku, thus preventing the particles from being mined.
38%
Help Dougherty, moving the Ba'ku to another world and helping the particles to be mined.
15%
Shrug, decide it doesn't concern you, and go about your business elsewhere.
19%
Other (please specify).
27%

Total votes: 26
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: YOU are involved in the events of INS

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's the whole PD thing there. They can't actualy go down and reveal themselves to the aliens.
'Course, they'd realise something had happened when they woke up one morning.

"Hey....has that mountain always been there?"

Dumb? Yup. Legaly binding document? Sadly, yes.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

as the UFP is forbidden from developing and employing cloak technology on their vessels, why don't they superglue a load of cloaked scientists in those insurrection stealth suits to the hulls of their ships, i smell a loophole lol
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So silly that movie

Data "Lock and Load."

Lock and load what, exactly?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:So silly that movie

Data "Lock and Load."

Power cells?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Troi and Crusher talking about their metaphasically regenerated boobs was truly one of the high points of the franchise.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Data "Lock and Load."

Data can't use old idiomatic expressions that in no way relate to modern life? We do it don't we?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

me,myself and I wrote:

Data "Lock and Load."

Data can't use old idiomatic expressions that in no way relate to modern life? We do it don't we?
Darn tootin'. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

To quote Kirk, "Let...them die!"

I never liked the Ba'Ku at all. A bunch of elitist snobs looking down at the likes of Picard for enjoying the creature comforts of unlimited energy and replicators. No wonder the So'Na left them.

Besides, isn't this just a civil war, and thus an internal matter? Neither side-Picard or the idiot admiral-should be involved. Both sides are wrong.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The whole thing about the Baku is they just wanted to be left alone. I guess want peace is a bad thing to some.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:The whole thing about the Baku is they just wanted to be left alone.
And the Feds would have been happy to leave them alone on their new world.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:laughroll:

Yeha, we'll leave you in peace after we kidnapped you, wrecked your world, ruin your lives and the dump you on another planet. Yuppy dodaday, we'll leave you in peace.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

And as has been pointed out time after time the Ba'ku are not being harmed and are being transported without even their knowledge to another world as similar to their own as could be found. In return, billions of people benefit from improved medical technology. For someone who's repeatedly complained about the Feds taking a far too touchy-feely approach to galactic politics I find your attitude somewhat strange.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

OMG, don't start your BS again. We were having a joke.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:The whole thing about the Baku is they just wanted to be left alone. I guess want peace is a bad thing to some.
The problem with one person wanting to be left alone, is that the rest of the universe might not care. Imagine what would have happened ot the Baku if they had been discovered by the Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, or Cardassians.

Up until now, the Baku have been lucky that their kids found a relatively nice empire to transport them to another planet. Imagine if the Son'a had sold the rights to the planet (and its rings) to one of the other empires out there:

Klingons - one shot from orbit = no more Baku
Romulans - enslave them, and breed them for local labor
Cardassians - take them off planet, and use the planet to help keep the Obsidian Order's members young and healthy
Ferengi - the Daimon that discovers the place decides to live there, and keeps the best slaves there to remain eternally young. The Baku will be sold/enslaved/isolated, depending on the Daimon's attitudes
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Doesn't matter. We weren't talking about other races. We were talking about the UFP and if it broke the law. Which it does. Next would be is it morally right to take the planet. Again the answer is yes. The last thing, was what the UFP did in order to remove the Baku illegal. Yes it was. They should have asked. Then, if the Baku said no then they would have the right to use force.

Its pretty simple if you remove the candy coated bullshit that sometimes gets added into debates.