Ranks in TNG...

The Next Generation
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Ranks in TNG...

Post by Sanehouse »

So, I've noticed that the cast and crew of TNG either weren't paying attention, or liked to see if we were. I've seen, more than once, them change the rank on one of the main characters. In episode one, for example, Data was a Lieutenant Commander, yet in the second last episode (All Good Things, Part 1) when Data is in Engineering right after the initial launch of the Enterprise-D (he's discussing human figures of speech with O'Brien), he clearly has one whole and one half pip on his collar, indicative of Lieutenant Junior Grade. Now, I hope I'm not going mad... Has anyone else noticed this?

Discuss other instances where the main crew (or even non-main crew) show different ranks than they should have.

Screen caps would be nice, too.

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Ranks in TNG...

Post by Teaos »

Quite a few of the characters changed rank with out reason. O'Brien being the main example.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

Yeah. I've heard him referred to as "Chief". That could either be his position title, or he could actually have the rank of Chief Petty Officer. I don't think it's likely that "Chief" is his title, though, because nobody refers to Data as "Operations Officer" or Worf as "Tactical Officer" when talking to them. In the same scene that I mentioned above, O'Brien has a single whole pip, which would mean he's an Ensign. That in itself is a bit confusing.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

He has had 3 different ranks that I know of, 2 officer ones in TNG then chief petty officer all through DS9 I think.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. I didn't remember O'Brien being an ensign, but he was once either a lt. or lt. j.g. Afterwards, he became a CPO for the duration of TNG and DS9.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

I'm fairly certain that he showed an Ensign's rank in "All Good Things, Part 1", but I just think it was another screw-up made by the cast and crew. I doubt he actually had the rank of Ensign. I wonder if there's a clear shot of his collar in the very first episode with Farpoint when O'Brien's on the battle bridge... If that is indeed O'Brien and not the actor covering another role. His name's never mentioned in the first episode.

Here is another of Data with the incorrect rank. Also, he's at Helm while O'Brien is at Operations. I was never aware that Data was a helmsman aboard the Enterprise-D.

Here is the screen cap of Data at helm.

m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

The show never really got consistancy until maybe season 3 or so.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Too true. People were all over the place in the first couple of seasons. Worf originally wore red, and sometimes served at the helm. Was he a dedicated helmsman, and if so is that the best place for a Klingon exchange officer? Further, how does one go form helmsman to replacement chief of security? Or, erstwhile helmsman to chief of engineering?
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

With Worf I think they just got smart. Better to have him punching people then trying to ram the ship.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Right - but what was he doing at the wheel in the first place? And how much would it suck to be Yar's deputy chief and have to be told, "Yeah, um... we're going with the helmsman instead."
as Bull offed Custer
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Mikey wrote: and if so is that the best place for a Klingon exchange officer?
Wait, what......Worf was an exchange officer?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, poor choice of words. No, he was Starfleet - but the only Klingon in Starflet.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Maybe they thought since their deputy was trained by SF it would be good to pick someone who could do the job.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:lol:
as Bull offed Custer
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Mikey wrote:Sorry, poor choice of words. No, he was Starfleet - but the only Klingon in Starflet.
No problem, I just wanted to be sure I did not miss anything!