Ranks in TNG...

The Next Generation
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Re: Ranks in TNG...

Post by Sanehouse »

I believe Worf's official title/position in Season 1 was "Relief Helmsman".
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

He steered the rest rooms, then?

Where's that from, BTW?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

To be honest, I don't remember the exact source. I do, however, remember either reading it or hearing it from somewhere else. Further searching has turned up this result, though: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Worf
USS Enterprise-D tactical officer and relief helmsman (1st season), chief of security
IKS Hegh'ta executive officer
Celtris III special operations
Deep Space Nine strategic operations officer
USS Defiant first officer
IKS Rotarran executive officer
IKS Koraga, commanding officer
Ambassador to Qo'noS
USS Enterprise-E tactical officer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm. He wasn't tactical originally, because he would have had a yellow uni.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

He was sort of a floater before Yar got offed (he wore the red jammys), served at Conn and floated around the various science stations in the back.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:He was sort of a floater before Yar got offed (he wore the red jammys), served at Conn and floated around the various science stations in the back.
So, he was like a... buffet officer? A little of this and that? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Over here floater is another word for resiliant - specifically a turd that won't flush.

Rather fitting for Worf really.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

I guess "Relief Helmsman" really did fit him in the first season, then.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:Hmm. I didn't remember O'Brien being an ensign, but he was once either a lt. or lt. j.g. Afterwards, he became a CPO for the duration of TNG and DS9.
In the novelization of "The Emissary" O'Brian was explaining to Keiko that he accepted the position on DS9 to earn his commission, at the rank of ensign. Non-cannon I know, but another rank in the O'Brian chain.

A thought that I had. We have SEEN Starfleet use "acting" officer ranks (i.e.) Wesley. Is it possible that the whole time on the Enterprise, he actually WAS a CPO, but was holding the rank of "acting" LT, for whatever reason?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:
In the novelization of "The Emissary" O'Brian was explaining to Keiko that he accepted the position on DS9 to earn his commission, at the rank of ensign. Non-cannon I know, but another rank in the O'Brian chain.

A thought that I had. We have SEEN Starfleet use "acting" officer ranks (i.e.) Wesley. Is it possible that the whole time on the Enterprise, he actually WAS a CPO, but was holding the rank of "acting" LT, for whatever reason?

If O'Brien was intending to do that then he was the biggest fool on that station. Going from the highest enlisted rank on the station (and likely the fleet) to an ensign would be like a judge suddenly taking a job as a janitor.
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

Cpl Kendall wrote:If O'Brien was intending to do that then he was the biggest fool on that station. Going from the highest enlisted rank on the station (and likely the fleet) to an ensign would be like a judge suddenly taking a job as a janitor.
If he became an Ensign, he might essentially be lower than he was, but he would then be able to advance all the way up to Captain. As far as I know, there's no enlisted rank equal to Captain.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, Chief Petty Officer isn't exactly the highest enlisted rank (although it IS the highest we've seen in SF, AFAIK) but I have to agree with you.

When I was still in the Army, I was setting up the weekly staff meeting, and the Battalion CSM (Command Sergeant Major) was in the room early with two of his Master Sergeants prepping some report or other, and in walked a squeaky new 2nd Lt, who snapped at all those "enlisted" men, "What ever happened to standing when an officer entered the room?"

Guess who got put in place rather quickly.

Again, the novelization isn't cannon, so who knows the reasoning behind it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Good point as far as you go, but there's a big difference between a Lt who was in high school a few years before and a Lt who was the RSM (or equivalent) a few years before. Being a former NCO, I very much doubt O'Brien would get jobs anything like those typical Ensigns would get.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Sanehouse wrote: If he became an Ensign, he might essentially be lower than he was, but he would then be able to advance all the way up to Captain. As far as I know, there's no enlisted rank equal to Captain.
Uhh...yeah...there wouldn't be. NCO's don't command ships and for good reason.

Anyways, an NCO jumping into O country doesn't go to the bottom of the frigging ladder, they usually wind up as a Captain or a Lt. if their Navy. And honestly most only do that for the better pension, how much of a concern do you think that likely is. :roll:

Mark also has a very good point, RSM=god among men. Ensign=dog shit.

Oh and I was referring to SF when I mentioned O'Briens rank but thanks for clearing that up Mark.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:Good point as far as you go, but there's a big difference between a Lt who was in high school a few years before and a Lt who was the RSM (or equivalent) a few years before. Being a former NCO, I very much doubt O'Brien would get jobs anything like those typical Ensigns would get.
Indeed, he also wouldn't be an Ensign (see above post) but then you get the reverse of the coin, where the "proper officers" look at them like something they found on their boot.