Daimon Bok and Picard and 'Survivors'

The Next Generation
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Daimon Bok and Picard and 'Survivors'

Post by Victory is Life »

In the TNG ep. 'survivors' Kevin Uxbridge mentions that he destroyed the entire Husnock race with a thought, but he says nothing about the Husnock's technology, including those, according to Riker, 'Is it just me, or does it look a lot meaner this time' battleships. I think it could have been a real crazy episode if Daimon Bok, in his crazy quest for revenge, found one of the Husnock's wayward battleships and went after the enterprise with it. What do you guys think? Good story, or bad recycle job of an old story?
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Daimon Bok and Picard and 'Survivors'

Post by Mark »

It's do-able I suppose, depending on how it was written.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I can't imagine the Douwd obliterating the Husnock race wholesale but somehow leaving their warships hanging around.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I certainly would've liked a follow-up on that episode. Someone must've found the Husnock planets, ships, etc.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I certainly would've liked a follow-up on that episode. Someone must've found the Husnock planets, ships, etc.

I really was left wondering. I think they could have been the next great Trek race, even touched on in Voyager, despite the fact that they're all dead.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I took the Douwd's comment to mean they litteraly erased them, ships, cities and all.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always assumed the same; wiping out the Husnock involved destroying all their ships, cities, etc.

Would be interesting to visit one of their planets and see what was left. Craters where the cities had been? Big patches of blank open ground? Wreckage?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought he said he killed them all, not "erased them from existence". :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually he said "I destroyed the Husnock."

There certainly could be ships ans such left, and it would be interesting to explore that. But really, Kevin didn't strike me as being irresponsible enough to leave that sort of hardware lying around like that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Actually he said "I destroyed the Husnock."

Kevin didn't strike me as being irresponsible enough to leave that sort of hardware lying around like that.

well, he was irrisponsible enough to murder an entire race of beings. His action was the result of blind rage, its possible rather than wipe them from existence he wanted to make them suffer, killed them all individually in some horrid fashion rather than ereasing them frim existance. thus leaving thier ships and cities intact but leaking the housnok themselves dead. if you ever seen serenity thing to the scene on miranda colony only with people doubled over in pain and agony.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Kevsha wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Actually he said "I destroyed the Husnock."

Kevin didn't strike me as being irresponsible enough to leave that sort of hardware lying around like that.

well, he was irrisponsible enough to murder an entire race of beings. His action was the result of blind rage, its possible rather than wipe them from existence he wanted to make them suffer, killed them all individually in some horrid fashion rather than ereasing them frim existance. thus leaving thier ships and cities intact but leaking the housnok themselves dead. if you ever seen serenity thing to the scene on miranda colony only with people doubled over in pain and agony.
If he did that, I would think that he would have destroyed the rest afterwards precisely to avoid what we are talking about.
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

GrahamKennedy wrote: If he did that, I would think that he would have destroyed the rest afterwards precisely to avoid what we are talking about.
possibly. but he may just not have thought about it. again i would think that at the point where he was his mind was ravaged with hate, vengance, and grief. i would think that the genocide of an entire race would weigh heavily on him... maybe he didn't leave all of thier tech behind, he tried to "cover his tracks" but missed something. again he was a nice guy, if he snapped and comitted genocide i imagine though his mind was extreamly supirior he would be still suseptible to mistakes.

maybe a good premice for the episode would be after boK had stolen it he hunted the E-D to the point where he was poised to destroy it due to the ships supiriority and Kevin steps in and stops it just before it happens to finish what he had started
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm with GK. A being of the Douwd's implied power would certainly be capable of - and therefore - probably prone to - complete eradication as easily as "just" killing individuals. And after the fact, if that weren't the case, since Uxbridge took such pains to disguise himself, wouldn't he have covered his tracks?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

My question is this: Why didn't he just bring them all back to life?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Why didn't he bring his wife back? Evidently killing people is easier than reversing the process, for Dowd as well as humans.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.