Federation and Borg

The Next Generation
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Federation and Borg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Would you say that the Federation and the Borg have similar agendas? After all, the Federation wants to "assimilate" more cultures and to better itself like the Borg. Though they go about it different ways, in the end both have similar goals. The Borg want perfection and the Federation wants a nice happy universe where everyone gets along perfectly and war, famine, and suffering is no longer part of the world.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: Federation and Borg

Post by Lazar »

They both want to expand, but the Federation isn't aggressive about it. If a given planet isn't eligible for Federation membership and doesn't want to reform, then the Federation would just leave them out rather than try to invade them. (Wasn't that an issue in DS9, when they thought that Bajor might be ineligible because of their caste system?)
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:They both want to expand, but the Federation isn't aggressive about it. If a given planet isn't eligible for Federation membership and doesn't want to reform, then the Federation would just leave them out rather than try to invade them. (Wasn't that an issue in DS9, when they thought that Bajor might be ineligible because of their caste system?)
If they had returned to their caste system then yes it would have been. But Sisko wound up embracing the Emissary role, so it never came to pass.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Oh, so had they already abandoned it by the TNG era? Need to watch more DS9.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lazar wrote:Oh, so had they already abandoned it by the TNG era? Need to watch more DS9.
It was abandoned as a result of the Occupation - caste systems and guerilla armies don't tend to mix very well.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:Oh, so had they already abandoned it by the TNG era? Need to watch more DS9.
Yup and they were none to happy about being encouraged to readopt it by that prophet guy who claimed to be the true Emissary. Kira was pretty irritated about having to be an artist.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

When the Cardassian's left Bajor was pretty much desperate for help, it was a pretty convenient time for the Federation to come in a offer aid. Leave them when they really need you and then then come back when the struggle is over and you can influence their new government.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

If you wanted to develop the Federation in a darker way, you could have them become dominated by Bush-style neoconservatives who want to invade other planets to spread democracy. :twisted:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"We don't want you here!"

The Federation: "Well... okay. If you change your mind, you've got our subspace channel."

The Borg. "Too friggin' bad."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

USSEnterprise wrote:When the Cardassian's left Bajor was pretty much desperate for help, it was a pretty convenient time for the Federation to come in a offer aid. Leave them when they really need you and then then come back when the struggle is over and you can influence their new government.
It would be quite twisted to find out the Federation somehow encouraged the occupation, only to rescue Bajor down the road. Now THAT would have been a Bush-ism.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Hell I think I'd rather be a Borg drone than a Federation communist.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Hell I think I'd rather be a Borg drone than a Federation communist.
... And I'd rather be in the Fed than be physically, mentally and spiritually violated in one of the more horrid ways in sci-fi.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hmmm... a life of relative ease where, in the worst case interpretation of what we see, you don't have any real chance to be rich, and have to work to make sure that other people aren't poor.

Or, be forcibly abducted, injected with alien nanotechnology, have bodily parts amputated and medical implants placed throughout your body, with the end result that you have absolutely no control over your actions and are forced to inflict the same fate on others until somebody somewhere finally blows your ass away in the attempt.

Which to choose, which to choose...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Try telling that to the Marquis.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Try telling that to the Marquis.
The Maquis, apart from a few traitors, were not part of the Federation. Their worlds were ceded to the Cardassians.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...