and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Federation and Borg

Post by Lt. Staplic »

:lol:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

USSEnterprise wrote:Would you say that the Federation and the Borg have similar agendas? After all, the Federation wants to "assimilate" more cultures and to better itself like the Borg. Though they go about it different ways, in the end both have similar goals. The Borg want perfection and the Federation wants a nice happy universe where everyone gets along perfectly and war, famine, and suffering is no longer part of the world.
The United Federation of Planets is a sacred and noble institution, one that will stand the test of time, representing the drive and tenacity of the human spirit, extending a hand of friendship and tolerance to the stars. The Borg are a hostile force who inflicts their brand of improvement whether you want it or not. There are stark differences.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Victory is Life wrote:The United Federation of Planets is a sacred and noble institution, one that will stand the test of time, representing the drive and tenacity of the human spirit, extending a hand of friendship and tolerance to the stars. The Borg are a hostile force who inflicts their brand of improvement whether you want it or not. There are stark differences.
The UFP is a stiffling, micromanaging communist state, whose most important law is directly contrary to the genocide convention, and who have an obession with conformity and subservience to the state. The Borg take that micromanagement one stage further, and practice geocide in a different from, that at least allows individual members of their victim species to survive physically. Unlike the Federation version.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

exactly...your just pulling out the good side of the Federation, and the nasty side of the borg and saying that the Feds are far supirior...It doesn't work that way.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Victory is Life wrote:The United Federation of Planets is a sacred and noble institution, one that will stand the test of time, representing the drive and tenacity of the human spirit, extending a hand of friendship and tolerance to the stars... whether the people they encounter want it or not.
Edited to observe both sides of the story.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The United Federation of Planets is a sacred and noble institution, one that will stand the test of time, representing the drive and tenacity of the human spirit, extending a hand of friendship and tolerance to the stars.
While that's certainly what the creators of the show intended the UFP be, in reality it was quite different. Observing the UFP and judging by what we see, the UFP is an oppresive communist state, complete with brainwashing, mass propaganda and brief mentions of re-education camps. They condone genocide and do nothing to save the lives of billions, even if it would take almost no effort for them to do so. They are arrogant to the extreme, automaticaly considering their way to be superior to all others, including some evidence of racism among the UFP populace towards non-UFP races. In addition, it's even disputed as to whether the UFP is actualy a democratic nation.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Rochey wrote:In addition, it's even disputed as to whether the UFP is actualy a democratic nation.
I think politics has been neglected - we never hear about elections, either planetary or Federation-wide, and we've only gotten rare glimpses of how the government operates.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Judging by TOS: "Amok Time," at least some council delegates are selected by their respective member worlds by other than democratic processes.
as Bull offed Custer
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Mikey wrote:Judging by TOS: "Amok Time," at least some council delegates are selected by their respective member worlds by other than democratic processes.
Well if it's modeled on the UN, or on the pre-17th Amendment US Senate, then I guess they would be chosen by the planetary governments rather than through a direct election.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes; what I'm saying is that the internal selection process for each world seems to not necessarily be democratic.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Borg are to the Federation what the man behind the curtain is to the great and powerful Oz.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

so the Borg are actually little fat men running the Federation to try and scare everyone else? :wink:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:The United Federation of Planets is a sacred and noble institution, one that will stand the test of time, representing the drive and tenacity of the human spirit, extending a hand of friendship and tolerance to the stars. The Borg are a hostile force who inflicts their brand of improvement whether you want it or not. There are stark differences.
The UFP is a stiffling, micromanaging communist state, whose most important law is directly contrary to the genocide convention, and who have an obession with conformity and subservience to the state. The Borg take that micromanagement one stage further, and practice geocide in a different from, that at least allows individual members of their victim species to survive physically. Unlike the Federation version.
Two extremes. Although I'll take Victory Is Life's any day of the week. Damn, how tinted are my rose-colored glasses?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Random Post, I wanted 2600 count before I logged off today :D