Starfleet Acadamy..................

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Starfleet Acadamy..................

Post by Captain Seafort »

I guess that's what happens when you teach command branch officers biochemistry, exobiology and latin instead of the difference between "boldness" and "suicidal idiocy", and to obey orders.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just look at Red Squad, the supposed "best and brightest"... :?
Judging by their actions, I'm of the opinion they were conisidered the "best and brightest" in much the same way we consider certain kids to be "special".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote:
Just look at Red Squad, the supposed "best and brightest"... :?
Judging by their actions, I'm of the opinion they were conisidered the "best and brightest" in much the same way we consider certain kids to be "special".
:laughroll:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nicely done, Rochey. But yeah, I agree that it would make sense to not have "Basic Tactical Competence" as an elective course (if they offer it at all.)

I certainly got the impression that it was a dedicated academy, in that non-SF personnel have no entry. I'd say it was even more unlike a modern university in that Starfleet research seems to have no relationship with the academy. I agree with Seafort that it seems more like a US service academy (West Point or Annapolis) in that it combines a "traditional" liberal arts education with officer training.

As to O'Brien having attended - he was a lieutenant once or twice.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just how many freaking times did O'Brien change ranks?
And was there ever any explaination given?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Just the one drop from an office to an NCO rank, IIRC...

and, no.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've heard one opinion. It was that until DS9 enlisted ranks didn't exist (don't know how he explained Simon Tarsis), but when they were re-enstated, certain officers were dropped to NCOs.

Don't look at me. Not my theory. I think it's retarded. Just sharing the rubbish.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is also the family man theory, he had a family, decided he didnt want to be an officer so dropped down to NCO for more personal freedom.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I recall reading that Gene originally wanted to model Starfleet on the air farce, with the "all pilots are officers" mentality replaced by an "all shipboard crew are officers" policy. Whether than meant that he expected Starbase crew to have enlisted personnel I don't know. TOS did have people referred to as "crewman", which may have indicated that they decided to have enlisted folk after all, or maybe "crewman" was intended as just a generic reference, like "shipmate".

Do we have any experienced military folk who could expound on the differences between officer and enlisted in the navy? Is it just a matter of "enlisted do the grunt work, officers give orders"? Are there huge differences in training, in skills, in experience?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I recall reading that Gene originally wanted to model Starfleet on the air farce,
Deliberate typo? :) Or did you mean "On-the-air farce"?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:I've heard one opinion. It was that until DS9 enlisted ranks didn't exist (don't know how he explained Simon Tarsis), but when they were re-enstated, certain officers were dropped to NCOs.

Don't look at me. Not my theory. I think it's retarded. Just sharing the rubbish.
Wouldn't work. IIRC, O'Brien went from Lt. to CPO within TNG.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Do we have any experienced military folk who could expound on the differences between officer and enlisted in the navy? Is it just a matter of "enlisted do the grunt work, officers give orders"? Are there huge differences in training, in skills, in experience?
Officers hold a commission granted by (in the Commonwealth) the Queen which bestows them the privledge of commanding the troops. Enlisted troops hold no such fancy document.

Training wise the officers are basically upper management, they plot out what to do and a general idea of how and the enlisted accomplish the goal. Enlisted personnel training is usually orientated to hands on work, you won't see the sci-fi staple of officers pitching in to fix something unless the shit has truely hit the fan (IE: your ship is a burning wreck).

MInd you even within this system there are a bunch of other things happening. The further up the NCO ladder you get, the less actual work you do and the same for officers. So what we saw O'Brien doing in DS9, in the RL military that work would have been done by a bunch of Privates/Corporals.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...too many Indians, not enough chiefs (no offense, Tsu, I didn't make up the phrase.)...
It's actually a pretty good analogy. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, but I wouldn't have used the term "Indians" myself. Unless I was trying to irritate my wife.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I suppose "braves" would work.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939