How did the Borg come about?

The Next Generation
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Deepcrush wrote:I think i said it once before but i feel the need to say it once again. I try to forget most things from ent as it tends to cause me pain trying to understand it.
I like to remember the cool stainless looking skin of the Enterprise, and T'Pol's breasts...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It doesn't fit with the way the Borg were originaly introduced.
At first, they were completely alien. No leaders, no VIPs, no weak points, no individualism. The race as a whole just went constantly onwards, seeking to assimilate everything without any real reason.
The very existance of the Queen is completely against all of that.
Not really there are plenty of reasons why they may have the queen.

They seek perfection. Maybe they realized that having a queen or a number of queens as it appears is more perfect than not.

It gives added structure which improves effecency which seems to be a big thing for them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Personally, I've always really hated a lot of the changes made to the Borg for 'coolness's sake.' I really liked the force of nature idea for the Borg; they were the ultimate inscrutable foe; unstoppable, totally beyond our comprehension. Just something to stay out of the way of. But now they just seem to be a bunch of space zombies with mustache-twirling villain in the center. Boring.
First Contact was cool, though.
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But the unstoppable force that the Borg were originally would have been all but impossible to use anymore. We couldnt beat them and if we did it would again be destroying what people consider to be "true borg"

Sure Voyager may have gon a bit far but they needed to either change or disapear.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps. But we can still be annoyed by the lack of continuity in universe, no matter the reason it was done in RL - i.e., to let the writers' off the hook for actually being creative or something...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:Perhaps. But we can still be annoyed by the lack of continuity in universe, no matter the reason it was done in RL - i.e., to let the writers' off the hook for actually being creative or something...
I would like to point out that it was actually a lack of creativity that caused the change. The writers apparently came up with a character/race that was basically useless after only a couple appearances. A race that has shipt that powerful would be 100% impossable to go up against if they had any sort of number. One Borg cube caused the Federation to fall to it's knees a few times. A race that assimilated everyone and everything would have vast numbers. In their original incarnation, a force of only 5 cubes could easily have assimilated the ENTIRE AQ, imho. That is not good writing, that is a lack of forethought.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

On the other hand, they could've introduced another equally powerful race at war with the Borg and have the Alpha Quadrant be the unwilling battlefield, with all the major races swept up in a massive war arc trying to aid the newcomers. Just a thought.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But the unstoppable force that the Borg were originally would have been all but impossible to use anymore. We couldnt beat them and if we did it would again be destroying what people consider to be "true borg"

Sure Voyager may have gon a bit far but they needed to either change or disapear.
Not really. They were originaly portrayed as powerful, and well out of the Federation's league, but they were never portrayed as invinceable. In the very first encounter, the Enterprise managed to cause damage to the cube on several ocasions. They could be beat, but only through fleet actions.
Congrats on 2000, by the way. :)
And congrats on the promotion, Mikey. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But everytime you hit the cube it adapted. Whats to stop them from adapting to fleet warfare. The Borg in the way they were originally portrayed were useless as an enemy as they could not be defeated more than once or twice with out "ruining" them again.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:That is not good writing, that is a lack of forethought.
It's neither. What the Borg were originally - an barely-stoppable amoral (as opposed to immoral) force - were as close to Roddenberry's original vision for them as could be put on a TV screen. No writer just came up with an idea for the Borg. That was a part of Roddenberry's mindset when TNG was envisioned. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't; but they were as they were, and to just completely change the whole concept of the Borg to make writing easier and less of a creative task is simply unconscionable.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But that idea is crap. An almost unstoppable enemy? How do you stop that more than once with out it seeming rediculous? Throw a Dues Ex Machina in every time they show up? Yeah thats great for a story.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But everytime you hit the cube it adapted. Whats to stop them from adapting to fleet warfare.
They can't infinitely adapt to massive amounts of power. They've been shown to be vulnerable to standard phaser fire against multiple ships.
The Borg in the way they were originally portrayed were useless as an enemy as they could not be defeated more than once or twice with out "ruining" them again.
Of course, you couldn't have them as an enemy who popped up every second episode. Do what TNG did, and save them for massive battles, season finales, plot elements, etc.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The borg could be a very powerful driving force for the show. Think about it, if you have an enemy that you can't beat now but if you work hard enough you might have a chance then well you could open up the books for what ever you want. There would be no end to it all. It would leave so much room for growth in both story line and character/race development.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:But that idea is crap. An almost unstoppable enemy? How do you stop that more than once with out it seeming rediculous? Throw a Dues Ex Machina in every time they show up? Yeah thats great for a story.
Better than turning the Borg into the DQ buffoons that Voyager made of them.
Deepcrush wrote:The borg could be a very powerful driving force for the show. Think about it, if you have an enemy that you can't beat now but if you work hard enough you might have a chance then well you could open up the books for what ever you want. There would be no end to it all. It would leave so much room for growth in both story line and character/race development.
Too bad you're telling us instead of having told the writing staff...
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Look at my face! Do you think a bunch of writers are going to listen to a hick! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu