How did the Borg come about?

The Next Generation
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

How did the Borg come about?

Post by I Am Spartacus »

I think that they gradually evolved from an Earth-like capitalist society, eventually choosing to imbue themselves with cybernetic implants that over time rendered them less and less biological and more and more technological. The logical progression of this (and human society, if you think about it) was to pool all information, as opposed to knowledge, into one great link that their cybernetic implants could access. They could receive information direct to their brains, and somewhere somehow this evolved into a central hive mind, with information being shared without thought.

I do have a hard time wrapping my mind around the notion that an entire race of beings would willingly fuse their minds into a central hive, thus sacrificing all individuality.

Thoughts?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I can see how it could happen,and we're at stage one of the process right now.

Stage one: Pool all the knowledge of a species into a single entity, accessable worldwide.

Stage two: Begin using VR rather than a computer keyboard is used to access the network.

Stage three: Develop a method by which information from this network can be downloaded directly into the brain.

Stage four: Develop a method by which human thoughts and ideas can be uploaded directly to the network.

Carry on like this for too long, and you'd have trouble figuring out where your ideas ended and others began.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I totally agre with that.

I have always though the Borg formed slowly.

A race like our choose to add cybernetics to their bodys over time and as technology grew to better themselves. It also doesn't take an entire species to do it. So long a a percent of the population does it they have an edge over those who don't, that then pushs them into doing it.

It's like Gattaca. You don't have to GE your baby but those who do are better off.

Thus over time they added more tech. A ocular implant here to improve vision and cybernetic hand there to help in engineering.

The big step would have been in the addition of implants to the brain. Creating the first primitive hive mind.

From then on it was all down hill (Or up hill depending on how you look at it)

Once you have a few thousand voices in your head individuality becomes less apparant and with it morals slip. Thus you see someone with some cool technology you want so rather than trade for it you just take it...

I could see Humans doing this very easily.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm with Captain Seafort on this one. Though I have read essays that consider the borg to be a commentary on Capitalist principles and the desire to accumulate wealth to be synonymous with the desire to accumulate technology. Seems a bit of a stretch, IMO.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Sad thing is they've been working on a chip that plugs your mind into the net and say they almost have it made. Personally I'm against that kind of technology it would completely change our culture. Not to mention its rather dangerous. Computer viruses being what they are.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Sad thing is they've been working on a chip that plugs your mind into the net and say they almost have it made. Personally I'm against that kind of technology it would completely change our culture. Not to mention its rather dangerous. Computer viruses being what they are.
Bloody hell. :shock:

And here's me thinking that the direct plug-in bit ws a bit far-fetched for the present. Have you got a source for that, I'd like to read up on it a bit more.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I thought I had seen once that Roddenberry intended the next "big bad" to have insect-like qualities, but then decided using that idea as a cultural, rather than physical, basis.

And sure, maybe WE feel strongly against giving up our individual personas and ethics, but there's nothing to say that the race which became the Borg had the same moral compass that we do.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Ok i'll explain how the borg came about.........''when two borg love each other, a mummy borg and a daddy borg'' lol

Yeah i also heard the roddenberry had envisaged the borg as hive insects but had to forget that due to budgetory/technological constraints.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And sure, maybe WE feel strongly against giving up our individual personas and ethics, but there's nothing to say that the race which became the Borg had the same moral compass that we do.
Indeed, the very definition of the word 'alien' is something which is different.
Sad thing is they've been working on a chip that plugs your mind into the net and say they almost have it made. Personally I'm against that kind of technology it would completely change our culture. Not to mention its rather dangerous. Computer viruses being what they are.
Wow, I would have thought we were decades away from this sort of technology. Do you happen to have a link around?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Cyd
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Cyd »

In Dragon's Teeth the Vaadwaur imply that the Borg were more individualistic 900 years ago; one told Seven of Nine that she wasn't like most he met.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:Sad thing is they've been working on a chip that plugs your mind into the net and say they almost have it made. Personally I'm against that kind of technology it would completely change our culture. Not to mention its rather dangerous. Computer viruses being what they are.
Bloody hell. :shock:

And here's me thinking that the direct plug-in bit ws a bit far-fetched for the present. Have you got a source for that, I'd like to read up on it a bit more.
It was on TV once. Think Dateline or 20/20. I'll try to find a link.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I saw a doco about stuff like that awhile ago. Its troubling but I see no way to avoid it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Truthfully, though, it seems awfully pointless to get into that slippery slope "Well, if we allow this..." etc. I truly believe (perhaps naively) humans would stop before it gets to the point of machines taking over our minds, etc. One of the great things about humanity is its longing to preserve its humanity.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But those who do will have an advantage over those who don't. I can easily see this becoming a personal race to see who can get the best hardware installed to become the best.