What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

The Next Generation
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

Post by Aaron »

Allright, we all know that Picard lost the Stargazer to a Ferengi ambush and MA has almost ten years between that and getting the Enterprise. So what did he do for those years and what lead SF Command to assign him to the command of the E-D? I assume he did something of note because why would the former Captain of a bucket of bolts (Picard himself described her in less than flattering terms) be given command of the newest, most powerful ship in the fleet?
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

Post by shran »

Well, he may have gotten the Enterprise for his experiece. picard was in command of the Stargazer for 22 years. but what else may have contributed to his assignmen tot the Enterprise is not clear to me as of now.
Early acadamic prestige from the several prizes may have helped as well.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

He desribed the Constellation in less than flattering terms from the POV of the TNG timeframe - when he was assigned the Stargazer 30+ years earlier, it may have been a prestigious assignment.

To answer the question, I'd extrapolate that he had command of fast cruiser, or somesuch ship somewhere between the Constellation and GCS. A middle rung, as it were.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

that would be my guess to...something like a what ever the E-C was, or a little newer.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Maybe he didn't actually command a ship, perhaps he did diplomatic work, hence why everyone thought him a good negotiator and command thought that a guy like him would be better at making peaceful contact with new species.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

that actually does make a lot of sence.

the stuff Picard did, not the SF decision of course.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I can perhaps see Picard getting command of the E-D for his good work in other areas between the Stargazer/E-D period
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can't see the earlier suggestion of an Ambassador (E-C) there were probably lagging a little bit. I could see him doing some work at SF-A or at SFC itself.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Together with his earlier merits, I believe networking is the key to his assignment. It happened throughout history, so i guess it will still happen in the future.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

shran wrote:Together with his earlier merits, I believe networking is the key to his assignment. It happened throughout history, so i guess it will still happen in the future.
The guy knows a hell of a lot of Admirals, which leads me to believe that he might have had a staff posting at SFHQ.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
shran wrote:Together with his earlier merits, I believe networking is the key to his assignment. It happened throughout history, so i guess it will still happen in the future.
The guy knows a hell of a lot of Admirals, which leads me to believe that he might have had a staff posting at SFHQ.
I was thinking the same thing. And, they offered him a posting there, IIRC.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

we've figured out another Starfleet decision!
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:we've figured out another Starfleet decision!
And it made sense!....Where's the duct tape? :worried:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. And, they offered him a posting there, IIRC.
He was offered, at least twice I believe, Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

pff, who wants to work at SF academy. Go listen to a bunch of loosers complaign about how hard it is to learn all the differnt unneccesariy tactical scearios, that would end up saving their lives when they get out
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lt. Staplic wrote:pff, who wants to work at SF academy. Go listen to a bunch of loosers complaign about how hard it is to learn all the differnt unneccesariy tactical scearios, that would end up saving their lives when they get out
It is one of the most important postings in Starfleet. He would have a lot of say in the curriculm of the institution and would be responsible for turning raw kids into productive officers. I cannot overstate the importance of the job. And Picard would be a decent pick, as long as it was in the later seasons. Not the early Picard, he was a collosal cock and was certainly sipping the Roddenberry cool-aid.