What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

The Next Generation
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: What Did Picard Do Between Commands?

Post by Lazar »

It was weird that they turned the book's Argentine and Filipino characters into WASP-y Americans, and removed the launch capsules and mech suits, as well as the "Skinny" race, which were a crucial part of the story. :? But it had Doogie Howser and boobies in it, so who cares?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And the low-rad base world, and the political discourse in favor of satire which was a subtle as a sledgehammer. And they didn't remove the Argentinian references; just removed any trace of Argentine-ness from the characters.

Oh, and they removed the commentary on America's military machine, too.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If you forget that it's supposed to be the same as the novel, SST the movie is actualy a fairly enjoyable popcorn movie when you turn your brain off. It's a story about a bunch of guys running around shooting at giant bugs. Sit back, watch the pretty good CGI, and enjoy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I agree; it was entertaining.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

me,myself and I wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote: but if you payed for a story about Jesus you'd be pretty pissed off at the result.
Isn't it "paid"?
Yeah, yeah, like you're so perfect. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lazar wrote:It was weird that they turned the book's Argentine and Filipino characters into WASP-y Americans, and removed the launch capsules and mech suits, as well as the "Skinny" race, which were a crucial part of the story. :? But it had Doogie Howser and boobies in it, so who cares?
It's been suggested that the idea was to show that in the Earth regime everything was sparkly clean, white, and American because fascist governments don't tend to like a lot of diversity in their cultures.

As for mech suits, it was a budget thing. They could afford CGI bugs, or they could afford CGI mech suits. They couldn't afford both.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

That's true. I've read that every CGI shot costs money.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ever see Starship Troopers 3? Yes, they really did make two sequels. Jolene Blalock stars in the third one! And they have mech suits, though only very briefly and they're nowhere near as cool as in the book.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I didn't see SST3. For one, I don't think any cinema in the country actualy showed it. I'd also had the misfortune to see SST2, and decided that nothing but shit could ever come out of that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SST3 is worse. MUCH worse.

As just an example, there's a singing Sky Marshal in it. Yes, a real, serving, active senior member of the military, who has a sideline in popular music. They even show him performing a song at one of his concerts. Soldiers ask him for his autograph and everything.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, fuck that. I'll make a note to avoid it at all costs.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

:wtf:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lordy, I found his performance on Youtube. He actually sings this song IN THE MOVIE. No kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dangit. Now I have to watch the movie because it just looks so completely awful. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow. That's just.....wow. You gotta be really talented to just be that bad.