Raw Materals used in the Galaxy Class

The Next Generation
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: Raw Materals used in the Galaxy Class

Post by Lazar »

In the first season of TNG, they actually had some guys wearing skirts.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Please don't remind me... oh too late.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lazar wrote:In the first season of TNG, they actually had some guys wearing skirts.
And the less said about that the better.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

:lol:
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I believe someone on here once asked if homosexuality would still exist in the time of Startrek....
Lazar wrote:In the first season of TNG, they actually had some guys wearing skirts.
I guess they do. :mrgreen:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I believe someone on here once asked if homosexuality would still exist in the time of Startrek....
I guess they do. :mrgreen:
Maybe we should ask the Scots?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

ah, there's a difference between a skirt and a kilt...haven't you seen Braveheart.

No one has ever lifted up their skirt to moon the enemy soldeirs while fighting for independance. :mrgreen:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In the first season of TNG, they actually had some guys wearing skirts.
That never happened. Okay?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lt. Staplic wrote:you know now that I think about it, VOY with all it's short commings, did reference Enlisted crewmen.

for example the time when the captain visited with those three shy crewmen and made them go on an away mission with her. I know quite the discription, but that's all I can remember about it.

TNG and DS9 both had Chief Petty Officer O'Brian as well, he was an Enlisted man.
Actually O'Brian started life off as a Lieutenant.......then somehow got bumped back to an Ensign on DS9, THEN ended up as an Enlisted Chief.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not quite. He started off as an Ensign in Farpoint, got promoted to Lieutenant at some point, and was going along perfectly sensibly, with "Chief" simply being his post, not rank. Then they needed Barclay to outrank him for plot purposes in "Realm of Fear", and everything went to pieces. It did produce a few good moments though, such as the fact that the Defiant seems to be the only ship in Starfleet with a realistic command structure and crew.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Except for that time when he was called as an expet witness against Worf, when Worf was put on trial for killing civilians. He kept saying "I wasn't in command that day". When would a mere enlisted man be in command of a starship during combat, EVER? Wouldn't even joe shmoe ensign in the science dept take command before O'Brian?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Except for that time when he was called as an expet witness against Worf, when Worf was put on trial for killing civilians. He kept saying "I wasn't in command that day". When would a mere enlisted man be in command of a starship during combat, EVER? Wouldn't even joe shmoe ensign in the science dept take command before O'Brian?
That really depends on the structure of SF. IRL, the ships supply officer wouldn't ever be found in command but SF seems to have a bizarre system where despite the presence of an experianced NCO and ensign, the ships psychologist was in command. Even without any actual command training.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Except for that time when he was called as an expet witness against Worf, when Worf was put on trial for killing civilians. He kept saying "I wasn't in command that day". When would a mere enlisted man be in command of a starship during combat, EVER? Wouldn't even joe shmoe ensign in the science dept take command before O'Brian?
That depends on whether there is a Joe Schmoe Ensign. The Defiant's crew is about the size of an infantry platoon, so it wouldn't be surprising if a SNCO were 2iC. What's surprising is that a Lt Cdr is the CO (although perhaps not so much, given how small the crew of a Fed battleship is).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
That depends on whether there is a Joe Schmoe Ensign. The Defiant's crew is about the size of an infantry platoon, so it wouldn't be surprising if a SNCO were 2iC. What's surprising is that a Lt Cdr is the CO (although perhaps not so much, given how small the crew of a Fed battleship is).
In reality she would probably be commanded by a Lt. But we've seen that practically every ship, regardless of size in SF is commanded by a Captain. I can only imagine how shitty the fleets advancement is.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I heard somewhere that Gene Roddenberry originally wanted everyone to be officers. Since the movie era they've at least theoretically had enlisted people, but they do seem to have trouble understanding that officers are usually just a small minority of the crew, and that not all ships are commanded by captains.