What would the "Warp Formula" look like if...

The Next Generation
GandalfTG
Petty officer second class

What would the "Warp Formula" look like if...

Post by GandalfTG »

Graham,

If one is to ignore my own personal least favorite episode, Threshold, how do you think it would that change the Warp Formula for determining just how fast one is going for a given warp factor?

Personally, I don't see any change to it, but then, I didn't come up with it, so I may just be wrong...
Rule 1: People Are Stupid!
1a: It's not my Fault!
1b: I just wish people wouldn't try so hard to prove Rule 1.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What would the "Warp Formula" look like if...

Post by Teaos »

Would you care to rephrase that question?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
GandalfTG

Post by GandalfTG »

Ok, Threshold is the episode that establishes, quite ridiculously, the "Warp 10 Barrier" as an impenetrable limit, except that, Tom Paris figures out how to beat it.

Because of this, Graham theorized that speeds above warp 10 were possible (due to All Good Things hitting Warp 13); just that it was 'unsafe' to travel AT warp 10.

So, if one was to ignore the foolishness of 'Threshold,' there would no longer be an interruption in the graph at each multiple of 10.

Personally, I never understood why the extra factors in the equation were necessary above warp 9, but not below it.

Oh well, when I write Trek fan-fiction, I tend to simply stick with Vc = WF^[10/3] no matter how fast they are going. I was mainly just curious as to Graham's opinion, though, I wouldn't turn anyone else's away either... (or I would have sent an email instead, obviously)
Rule 1: People Are Stupid!
1a: It's not my Fault!
1b: I just wish people wouldn't try so hard to prove Rule 1.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would theorise that they are using two different warp scales at once. While traveling under normal warp they use the warp scale that stops at 10. But while using a transwarp drive in the future they tack on a new scale that goes 10<.

Its like when we travel normall we talk in kph or mph but when traveling really fast we tend to talk in mach scale or as a fraction of light speed. Two different scales used at the same time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good point, Teaos. The scales in question could be just a naming convention, for ease of conversation. However, with (TNG scale) Warp 10 having been termed an "impenetrable" barrier, I think GK's hypothesis fits nicely - that there are speeds beyond it, after which the warp factor curve replots itself in an altered reflection of the <10 scale.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

GandalfTG wrote:Ok, Threshold is the episode that establishes, quite ridiculously, the "Warp 10 Barrier" as an impenetrable limit, except that, Tom Paris figures out how to beat it.

Because of this, Graham theorized that speeds above warp 10 were possible (due to All Good Things hitting Warp 13); just that it was 'unsafe' to travel AT warp 10.

So, if one was to ignore the foolishness of 'Threshold,' there would no longer be an interruption in the graph at each multiple of 10.

Personally, I never understood why the extra factors in the equation were necessary above warp 9, but not below it.

Oh well, when I write Trek fan-fiction, I tend to simply stick with Vc = WF^[10/3] no matter how fast they are going. I was mainly just curious as to Graham's opinion, though, I wouldn't turn anyone else's away either... (or I would have sent an email instead, obviously)
Threshold isn't really to blame in having Warp 10 as it is. It was Gene's idea from the beginning of TNG that Warp 10 is infinite speed. Threshold has many and varied problems to be sure, but warp 10 as infinite speed is one thing where they were perfectly consistent with what had gone before.

I said elsewhere recently, personally I think the redrawing of the warp scale for TNG is an absurdity that should never have happened. Personally I'd have gone with a straight mathematical progression, and pegged it so that warp 8 was about 350,000 x c, as shown in "That Which Remains". But hey, they didn't ask me.

If you want to make your own fan interpretation of it where the WF^(10/3) thing just carries on that's perfectly reasonable... it's contradicted by episodes all over the place, but they've messed speeds and distances about so much at this point that any attempt to fit things to canon is going to run into problems, so you may as well go with what works for your stories.

But if you want to stick with canon, we're stuck with warp 10 = infinite speed. Silly, but there you have it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

this here is why i recalculated my own, it doesn't fit cannon percisely either but when graphed it averages out with all of the different levels of transwarp from Gene's graph (atleast under Warp 50)

V/c=WF^(log8760)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Any particular reason why you picked 8760?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

so that when you solve for the velocity at warp 10, you'll be travelling at 1 light year per hour.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lt. Staplic wrote:so that when you solve for the velocity at warp 10, you'll be travelling at 1 light year per hour.
Smart. I've seen similar suggestions on fan sites. Makes a lot of sense, honestly.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

yes only problem is that it's way faster than either of the warp formula's used in the 'treks.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I know something even faster than your scale, Staplic......................

PLOT POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :poke:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Which is WAY faster than any warp scale.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Warp Speed - Pinto

Plot Power - Porsche

Nuff said? :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good thing ENT had one.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"