What would the "Warp Formula" look like if...

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What would the "Warp Formula" look like if...

Post by Captain Seafort »

ENT? Plot? Where?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think you misunderstand, the plot drive gets the show away from trivialities such as plots.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Ah, understood.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:I think you misunderstand, the plot drive gets the show away from trivialities such as plots.
And at incredible speeds, too. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:laughroll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, it's been estimated at speeds of Warp 10.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But if Starfleet were to start using Borg style Transwarp corridors (I'm thinking THAT'S the logical progression) then an entirely NEW speed scale will be needed.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nah, Plot Drive is faster than Transwarp. Infiinite speed is the only answer.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Warp Drive = Light Speed
Transwarp Drive = Ridiculous Speed
Plot Power Drive = Ludicrous Speed!!!

The above is a small comparison chart :mrgreen:
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mark wrote:But if Starfleet were to start using Borg style Transwarp corridors (I'm thinking THAT'S the logical progression) then an entirely NEW speed scale will be needed.
Why couldn't TNG have just used the same scale, going to speeds of Warp 13, 14. As it is, the existing TNG scale is just a small modification of the TOS scale, anyway - so what's the point of it?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Why couldn't TNG have just used the same scale, going to speeds of Warp 13, 14. As it is, the existing TNG scale is just a small modification of the TOS scale, anyway - so what's the point of it?
It's a small modification up to warp 9, but after that it shoots off up to warp 10 as the ultimate speed limit. Roddenberry wanted that limit to stop the numbers getting stupid - warp 13, 14, 15 aren't so bad, but warp 30 or 40 would start to get rediculous. Of course, reeling off warp factors with a stupid number of decimal places isn't much better.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

the problem is that the way warp works there is now "max speed" so no matter how you do it eventually throught natual evolution your going to hit stupid levels of decimals or rediculusly high numbers.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Why couldn't TNG have just used the same scale, going to speeds of Warp 13, 14. As it is, the existing TNG scale is just a small modification of the TOS scale, anyway - so what's the point of it?
It's a small modification up to warp 9, but after that it shoots off up to warp 10 as the ultimate speed limit. Roddenberry wanted that limit to stop the numbers getting stupid - warp 13, 14, 15 aren't so bad, but warp 30 or 40 would start to get rediculous. Of course, reeling off warp factors with a stupid number of decimal places isn't much better.
Well, just using the wf^(10/3) formula, I get Warp 40 is equal to 218,876c, or roughly 25 ly/hour!!! So, there's the answer: it's crazy to be going at speeds that high (if they want to keep the galaxy as "big" as it is meant to be) to begin with, so you should never have to worry about going as fast as Warp 40. :tongue:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hell, I'd still prefer to hear "Warp factor 47" instead of "Warp factor 9.9975".
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

.9975 isn't that bad, however if we do another series after VOY it'll get pretty old:

ensign Warp 9.99999999999982138479625 on my mark.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.