Demographics of the Trek civilisations

The Next Generation
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Demographics of the Trek civilisations

Post by Granitehewer »

Just wondering, thanks to the inspired ideas of Moose,what people deduced or liked to imagine about the demographics of the major trek civilisations, for example the levels of enfranchisement of the subject races by the dominant race, the cultural attitudes and idiosyncrasies etc
For example, the romulans clearly use the remans as shock troops and slave-miners, does anyone think that the remans may have any bureaucratic influence in the empire, like a higher status group within the remans, being allowed to negotiate any domestic policies pertaining to remus or are the romulans entirely dominant,without parallel or question?
In the lives of their subject races, does anyone imagine that the klingons allow any conditional autonomy, eg to the kriosans, eg allow the preservation of indigenous customs and ideas,whilst the klingons retain certain powers such as defence policies and resource allocation, a bit like england allowing scotland certain degrees of political freedom, but curtailing and controlling national defence policies, and extraction of gas reserves from scottish waters etc.
Ok, thats it, fire away!!
pete
P.S. Am especially interested, if anyone has any musings about the ferengi, would they militarily subjugate or just bribe, hire mercenaries to do the dirty work, allow non-ferengi equal financial status, clearly this is all conjecture,but could be fun too!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Personally I think the Remans are a bad example. I think the Romulans treat them bad because they are a bad off shot of their race.

I think most races in their empires would live good lives. They would self gouvern and be allowed reasonable freedom but they would also have to fill quotas of supply probably. It takes a lot of effort to keep someone suppressed. Easier to let them live their lifes and use their infastructure to your benifit.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Is there cannonical evidence that Remans are an offshoot of the romulans,or is it speculation, based on them mutually having pointed ears?
Its difficult to know why the romulans mistreat the reman mining slaves, the remans may be resented if they are infact an offshoot of the romulans, because the remans outwardly might remind the romulans, that the romulans are not as divine as they seem to believe, but are in fact far more earthly, almost how the werewolf myth or looking at simians in the zoo, poignantly reiterates to us of our internal beast and our proximity to the rest of the animal kingdom..... but it might also be that the remans preexisted on remus, and evolved there, long before the romulans migrated from vulcan to romulus, and thus the remans were exploited due to romulan manpower shortages, generic racial prejudices or to subjugate their neighbours to prevent future competition and conflict over local resources and sovereignty.....
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I don't know as much as you about the remans, as only seen Nemesis one and a half times, and not read any literature about them or watched any dvd special features etc, but thought they were of bat stock, like some races, for example, the benzites were icthyoid, the remans , maybe were bat-like or Chiropteran (see by adding an 'n' to the latin for bat,it sounds remarking cool and trekkie lol).
:D
I like your idea about limited self governance aslong as quotas were filled and defence policy dictated by the dominat race, thats how i'd like to imagine things were too, and definately image that the dominion are like that.
Good ideas there
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I have a question - how did those two races become named after figures from ancient Earth mythology; figures which DO NOT have stars named for them?[/b]
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Coincedence?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow... that is one 'Trek-writer-sized conincidence... :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Could it be possible they're called something else in their own language?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I would have to assume so, but how would those words become translated as the names of the founders of the Roman Empire.

I know, I know - the TOS writers were trying to base the Romulan Star Empire on the pre-Christian Romans, but come on!
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well there would be on translation for a name. Thus who ever discovers them names them. Picture Archer or someone having first contact remaking on how Roman they seem thus giving them the name.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Problem is that they self-identified as the Romulan Star Empire in their transmission to the NX-01 in "Minefield". It's possible that the visited Earth during the Roman period between their departure from Vulcan and arriving on Romulus, and liked the culture so much they decided to adapt aspects of it, including the names.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I hate having to stretch like that to explain a lapse on the writers' part.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Romulans could of had figures in their past with those names as well. It's a bit of a stretch but not as unplausable as some.