Klingons: Honor Optional?

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Klingons: Honor Optional?

Post by Teaos »

For the gretaer good... has there ever been a more evil statement uttered.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:For the gretaer good... has there ever been a more evil statement uttered.
I don't know...maybe "for the greater good"? :poke: :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:For the gretaer good... has there ever been a more evil statement uttered.
Thousands, if not tens of thousands. "For the greater good", "greatest good for the greatest number", "needs of the many..." etc are pretty much the definition of morality.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

How about, "In the name of God." ?

If not, that's a close second :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Mark wrote:
How about, "In the name of God." ?

If not, that's a close second :mrgreen:
A scary close second.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Thousands, if not tens of thousands. "For the greater good", "greatest good for the greatest number", "needs of the many..." etc are pretty much the definition of morality.
Nope.

The porblem with "The needs of the many" and "the greater good" is that they strip individual rights and require somebody to decide what the greater good is.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:The porblem with "The needs of the many" and "the greater good" is that they strip individual rights and require somebody to decide what the greater good is.
Individual right have their place, but when they conflict with the needs of society (and therefore the individual rights of everyone else) they have to be set aside to some extent. As for the need to have someone deciding what the greater good is, the alternative to that is anarchy.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It all depends on what you mean by "the greater good". The greater good of what?
Most people define the greater good as "what will benefit the majority of the people directly". The problem lies with alternate interpretations like "what will benefit the nation", such as Stalin's view.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Love the philosophical discussion, but I noticed one thing I have to address.
m52nickerson wrote:Exactly, if I knife someone in the back and no one knows, I don't embarrass the the Empire or my family, because no one knows.
Again, this shows that blanket generalizations can't be applied to TNG+ era Klingons. We've seen plenty of them that wouldn't do such a thing, even if they would never be found out, because of their own sense of honor.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Mikey wrote:Love the philosophical discussion, but I noticed one thing I have to address.
m52nickerson wrote:Exactly, if I knife someone in the back and no one knows, I don't embarrass the the Empire or my family, because no one knows.
Again, this shows that blanket generalizations can't be applied to TNG+ era Klingons. We've seen plenty of them that wouldn't do such a thing, even if they would never be found out, because of their own sense of honor.
No doubt. My point was that personal honor seems to take a back seat for some, and still for others when when it conflicts with family honor of the honor of the empire.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

True. I wasn't disagreeing with you, merely pointing out that this supports my idea thatTNG+ era Klingosn weren't all characterized with a single cookie cutter.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:It all depends on what you mean by "the greater good". The greater good of what?
Most people define the greater good as "what will benefit the majority of the people directly". The problem lies with alternate interpretations like "what will benefit the nation", such as Stalin's view.
Stalin wasn't looking for the greater good of Russia. He was looking for the greater good of Stalin.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu