Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

The Next Generation
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

With the extra phaser arrays and the extra phaser cannon, how much higher on the power scale would the All Good Things Galaxy-class ship be compared to the Dominion War version?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm guessing we're all pretty clueless, unless someone is willing to watch and see all the extra phaser arrays, etc. But the big deal breaker is that huge phaser underneath. Thats gonna add a ton. Imagine one of those in the Dominion war.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Off the top of my head, over and above the war-GCS it had the central nacelle array, an extra array on the port and starboard nacelle pylons, and lost the battle section dorsal array, giving it 16, all exposed.

However, they only improve coverage, not power. As Bryan says, the best way to estimate the ship's power would be the effects of the phaser lance on the Negh'vars - it took one of them out with four or five hits IIRC, while even repeated hits from DS9's phasers and torpedoes failed to do serious damage to the Negh'var herself in "Way of the Warrior".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqe1m2p1BVM

5 spotted hits, and around 8 fired.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Minor nitpick, but I think there were only six shots fired in all. The sequence was: two shots seen fired, a hit seen to the forward hull, another two seen fired, two hits seen to the port wing, and finally successive hits seen to the forward and main hulls. I think the second, third and fourth shots seen fired were the same as the first second and third hits seen. This means that a single hit, possibly two, is sufficient to knock out a Negh'var's shields.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Fair enough, to be honest i wasn't counting the number fired. all i was taking note of was that the Enterprise virtually pummeled that klingon thing to hell.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

A few calculations, based on the hole punched through the forward hull of the Negh'var.

The forward hull is about 180 metres across, making the hole about 30 metres in diametre. The hull is about 18 metres deep at that point, so the volume of the hole is approximately 12,500 m^3. All calculations of the size of the Negh'var are based on these blueprints and assuming a 685m long ship.

If we assume that 10% of the volume of the hole is solid metal, with properties similar to that of iron, then the blast must have punched through about 1,250 m^ of metal, equating to a sphere of radius 10 m. Using the SDN asteroid destruction calculator, this gives us a mass of a little over 4000 tons, a melt energy of 10 kT, and a vapourisation energy of 60 kT. The energy required is probably somewhere between these two figures, as at least partial vapourisation is obvious from the scene. This is also a lower limit, as the beam kept going after punching through the hull.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

DITL has this to on it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

The thing is, it looks as if the Klingons didn't even have shields up. Seems odd.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Bryan Moore wrote:The thing is, it looks as if the Klingons didn't even have shields up. Seems odd.
That may have simply been a CGI error. If not, then it is possible to deduce that the Klingon's had become overconfident (after all they were facing a Hospital ship). Not an excuse for not raising shields, but it is some form of explanation.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or perhaps they suffered damage in an earlier confrontation, and were unable to raise shields. Or maybe they were just overconfidant to the point of mental retardation. Or maybe the lance was powerful enough to cut right through it, or utilises some effect that ignores shields.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Rochey wrote:Or maybe the lance was powerful enough to cut right through it, or utilises some effect that ignores shields.
The Dominion Weapons were capable (at first) of penetrating Federation shields, its conceivable the Lance Phaser could do the same.

The special effects used when the Enterprise decloaked bought to mind the phase cloak seen in "The Pegasus". If the Federation was developing cloaking technology again by that time, it'd make sense for them to dust of the Phase Cloak.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well they'd obviously got past the treaty of Algeron (FED | ROM) with regards to cloaking devices. so it's possible.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I see Graham in his Negh'Var page gave it relatively weak shields, presumably as a result of the ease with which Q's future E-D brought them down. Still, though, they're rated at 2.16 million TJ; if the "Phaser Lance" cut through them in perhaps 1 second, that's 2.16 million TW of power!

I wonder if this weapon is common to Fed ships of this alternate timeline. If this is the case and the Klingon's best counter is the Negh'Var, you might think the Klingons would give Fed starships a wide berth. OTOH, the Negh'Vars have their twin Mark 18 Disruptor Cannon which did a pretty nifty job on DS9's shields themselves, though they might not be used in ship-to-ship combat as the "Phaser Lance" was seen doing.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I doubt it. The fact that it was mounted to one of the biggest ships ever made would have something to do with it. They may be able to make a smaller version, but it'd be just as easy to fit a series of beam arrays or a compliment of pulse turrets.