Sci-Fi Debris has a new category

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Sci-Fi Debris has a new category

Post by Captain Seafort »

It depends what it's intended for. If it's intended to stop bullets then it's a waste of time. If it's intended to be padding against the beer bottles/bits of road/whatever else comes to hand that your average rioter is likely to be armed with, then it might be of some use. I'd rather have a proper riot shield and helmet though.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe standard gear included such things. Presumably he'd have been stripped of any weapons when he arrived.
Then again, the E-D crew weren't.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Unless they reverted to using muskets, I seriously doubt that that thing is of any use.
This was a post-apocalyptic society of dregs. I'd imagine anything even remotely resembling a firearm wouldn't be found except among the ranks of the soldiery. Those men were probably never intended to face anything more advanced than a hickory cudgel - for which padded armor is cost efficient and suited.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Conceded.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote: This was a post-apocalyptic society of dregs. I'd imagine anything even remotely resembling a firearm wouldn't be found except among the ranks of the soldiery. Those men were probably never intended to face anything more advanced than a hickory cudgel - for which padded armor is cost efficient and suited.
Not to rekindle this but there are blacksmiths in practically every Afghan village that can make an AK-47. And muzzleloading muskets and rifles are very simple to make with the same tools, I doubt society had fallen that far given all the nice metal and wood structures we saw in the court. Not to mention that complex of Cochrane's in Montana.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote: This was a post-apocalyptic society of dregs. I'd imagine anything even remotely resembling a firearm wouldn't be found except among the ranks of the soldiery. Those men were probably never intended to face anything more advanced than a hickory cudgel - for which padded armor is cost efficient and suited.
Not to rekindle this but there are blacksmiths in practically every Afghan village that can make an AK-47. And muzzleloading muskets and rifles are very simple to make with the same tools, I doubt society had fallen that far given all the nice metal and wood structures we saw in the court. Not to mention that complex of Cochrane's in Montana.
An old college friend of mine had a mate who left the Rat Race to become a blacksmith - he apparently makes a killing due to the scarcity of good smiths in the area.

I really hope he doesn't know how to make an A47.

For that matter, didn't Lily have a machine gun in First Contact?
Last edited by kostmayer on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:...I really hope he doesn't know how to make an A47.
That would be quite a feat for a single blacksmith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A47_road

:P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:
An old college friend of mine had a mate who left the Rat Race to become a blacksmith - he apparently makes a killing due to the scarcity of good smiths in the area.

I really hope he doesn't know how to make an A47.

For that matter, didn't Lily have a machine gun in First Contact?
She had a Steyr AUG, which is an Austrian designed assault rifle. It's somewhat more complex than an AK-47. The complicated and time consuming task would be the barrel, most of the rest is just wood furniture.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:She had a Steyr AUG...
She did? :?

I'd swear she had a Calico 960, but it has been a while since I've seen it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lilly used a Calico M951, though it does look like an AUG from many angles. And I'd call the Steyr infinitely more complex than an AK47.

However, I'd have thought that the action would be more difficult to smith than the barrel.

@ Tsu - I believe the M960 is the pistol/SMG variant of the M951.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:@ Tsu - I believe the M960 is the pistol/SMG variant of the M951.
Yeah, it didn't seem like a rifle to me; I guess it could've just been poor choreography, blanks, etc.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
She did? :?

I'd swear she had a Calico 960, but it has been a while since I've seen it.
Well your right that it's not an AUG. This about the best pic I could get off Trekcore:

Certainly has the general appearance of a Calico but there's so much shit on it it's hard to tell.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The appearance of the forward grip and the thingy on top for Calico's "helical feed" are giveaways, I think.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

If only there were a site with better images. Oh look :

http://www.ditl.org/index.php?daymain=/ ... hp?29.13&1
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The only thing better than having your own kick-ass website is having a forum for further self-aggrandizement, I guess. :wink:

JK. I don't recall, though - under "projectile weapons," did you classify that as an M951?
as Bull offed Custer