The Borg.....Better or Worse

The Next Generation
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Borg.....Better or Worse

Post by Mark »

When the Borg were first introduced, I thought that they were awsome. Their slow stalking reminded me of Jason from Friday the 13th. Weapons would be exausted, and you were just unable to stop them. They were the ultimate enemy. In Endgame, they were little better than your average baddies by then, having allowed a small "scout explorer" to escape them time and again, and inflict heavy losses on them.

When did you like the Borg best?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Borg.....Better or Worse

Post by Tsukiyumi »

TNG for sure. VOY just didn't impart the same gravitas to their appearances.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Deffinitely TNG, I liked the idea that they were faceless and didn't wnat territory or power, they just wanted you. To a certain degree it is understandable that Voyager would be more effective against the Borg since she is newer but what we got was just ridiculous.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

TNG was when they were best. The idea of faceless, utterly alien foes was great.
Then along came VOY and wussed them up.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

TNG by a mile. They were utterly remorseless, travelling in straight lines, consuming everything in their path.

Voyager's Borg were a bunch of incompetent space zombies/vampires with zero imagination and led by a dominatrix.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I like both. Although I will be the first to admit the Borg in VOY and the Borg in TNG are pretty much totally different groups.

The Borg in TNG are as Graham once put it "a hurricane" its not evil, its not out to get you. Its a big powerful destructive force and its blowing its way right at you, you can try to fight it with sand bags but its best just to run.

The Borg in VOY were far more cyborg-ish. The TNG were bascially mindless robots but the VOY ones still retained a bit of humanity almost. They were controlled by a Queen and actually planned things out (badly but still...). While they did get a bit to weak IMO the basic idea behind them wasnt bad.

Ideally thought the VOY Borg should have been a different group than the TNG ones.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree with Teaos - they definitely were two different types of foils. To make a value judgement, TNG by a country mile. The VOY Borg were simply another running villain, with understandable motivations. The TNG Borg, however, were moved by forces so alien to us as to be incomprehensible.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

For anyone who watches Heroes, The TNG Borg rather remind me a Sylar, out to get more abilities/knowledge.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:For anyone who watches Heroes, The TNG Borg rather remind me a Sylar, out to get more abilities/knowledge.
Agreed. Not evil, per se, only driven to improve themselves.

Sylar is awesome, BTW. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I saw one episode of Heroes in season one. I've always meant to get back into that show, but havent had the chance yet.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's another one of those shows that you really should watch from the beginning.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hulu.....here I come :mrgreen:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:D
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Great til Descent.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The very earliest Borg encounters were the best. They were an amoral, overwhelmingly powerful, relentless force which could not be reasoned with at all. They began to decline in earnest with the introduction of the Borg queen, and Voyager totally lost the concept of an overwhelming force of nature (a "hurricane") and just made them average zombie cyborgs.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who