The Borg.....Better or Worse

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Borg.....Better or Worse

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Can a strong telepath read the Borg collectives' mind? Surely they'd get a sense of something,. but the Collective may be too vast a mind to be read.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Or too dissociated, or too automated. Good question.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think it'd be far too hard for them to do. It'd probably be like standing in the middle of a crowded street where everyone is yelling, thus making it impossible to pick any one thought out.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would think it would depend on the person in question. In nature when hunting a target you have to learn to hear everything at once but keep you mind on a single objective.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And the power of the telepath in question.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Exactly. How powerful and how well trained.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, yeah, it'd obviously depend on who's doing the reading. There are a few telepaths that are far more powerful than others.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Rochey wrote:Well, yeah, it'd obviously depend on who's doing the reading. There are a few telepaths that are far more powerful than others.
This makes me wonder... can the Q read minds? They have abilities beyond what most telepaths can do, but I don't recall Q ever reading someone's mind - not to mention controlling a person. Q may or may not care whether this is "sporting," depending on what his goals are ATM.

The Douwd did display telepathic abilities in "The Survivor;" surely a being that could wipe out a race with a thought could read the Collective's mind. However, we're now getting into the territory of beings that were expressly conceived of as being without limits; the question to be asked without using this sort of virtual cop-out might be, how powerful must a telepath be to read the Borg mind? Unfortunately, we can't answer that in any manner but in vague terms.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not sure if mind-reading is one of the capabilities of the Q. It didn't help Q to realise Sisko was going to hit him, but it may be some sort of active process.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Reading minds wouldn't be "fun" for Q. But since he has NEVER demonstrated that ability, I'd say it's outside his purview. Omnipotent indeed :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...It didn't help Q to realise Sisko was going to hit him...
I love that scene.

"Jean Luc never hit me!" :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yep, that was GREAT!!!
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

How much fum might Q have by controlling someone? Perhaps just reading someone's mind would be too easy compared to judging a person's reaction. Thankfully, he met a good foil in Jean-Luc Picard, who was born allergic to Q. :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Jean Luc and Q were perfect for each other.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Jean Luc and Q were perfect for each other.
Which reminds me of the scene in "Tapestry" when Picard wakes up and Q is in bed next to him. Talk about next day regrets. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939