Aceton Assimilartors

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Aceton Assimilartors

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

These devices from "Booby Trap" struck me as reminiscent of the Breen weapon (in effect if not manner of execution) as I read the Energy Dampening vs Borg thread. What I'm wondering is, could it not have been a great advance for the Federation if they were able to develop this technology. It may turn out to be harder to adapt to this method of draining the ship's power from afar than the Breen effect of disabling the power systems in one shot - at least it looked that way from the episode. While E-D was able to escape by powering down and escaping on their momentum alone, this would not be an option to enemy ships if such a device were to be employed by Starships in battle rather than unarmed rocks. Suppose a fleet of ships networked a set of devices on each ship so that their own emissions were undampened, but enemy ships' power was not only drained from them, but powered the Starfleet ..., er, fleet.

It starts to sound a bit fanboyish but is a logical extension of the concept. Then again, a fleet of phase-cloaked ships carrying Genesis torpedoes looks fanboyish, but these technologies have actually been demonstrated by Starfleet!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Aceton Assimilartors

Post by Teaos »

The E_D didnt have a long time to counter it, just like the EDW there may be a rather easy way to counter it once properly studied.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's possible the EDW and these things were based on similar technologies.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I actually think that could realisticlly be a next generation weapons system. It fits Starfleets ideals quite well of disabling enemy ships rather than destroying them.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.