Sovereign-class vs Dominion Battleship

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Sovereign-class vs Dominion Battleship

Post by Mikey »

Right. Most of these type of topics involve some sort of conjecture; in this case, there is really nothing on which to even base such conjecture. We can say that the Dom battleship looks like it would be unwieldy, but that would really mean nothing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. Hell, even the fact that it looks unwieldy means nothing, as you don't need to be smooth and sleek in the vacuum of space.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Pretty much, it could be packed with Thrusters and Impulse Engines and only have basic weapons... maybe half the ship is empty space and its size is meant to intimidate while it sits amongst its own fleet.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Case in point the Scimitar, one of the biggest yet the most agile ships out there.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Case in point the Scimitar, one of the biggest yet the most agile ships out there.
Really? :confused:
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It was pulling some pretty tight turns for a ship that big - the 180 after coming out of warp for example. I wouldn't call it one of the most agile ships, but for it's size the ship's manoeuverability was good.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, I'd go with that qualifier.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, one thing you can say about the Scimitar is that it was surprisingly maneoverable.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

*cough* FANBOY *cough* :roll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What was that aimed at?
The Scimitar was pretty surprisingly zippy in relation to its size.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I think that is what he is getting at, the whole ship seemed to be a fanboys dream from the 52 disrupters (of which we only see a fraction in action), its "perfect cloak", the uberweapon, the Warp Dragster effect, turning like a zodiac, and the overall size of the thing, its rather ridiculous...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah ships should always have a balance to them, thats what I was trying to get at when we were designing the Paladin, when you add armour you drop speed and agility. If you add weapons you need to increase the power supply of the ship which has several negative effects. Its something most fanboys don't take into account. There are so many crap fanships out there which are just a stock stardard kitbash ship, usually a intrepid with Sov nacelles, and with dozens of more guns and a far higher warp speed pulled out their arse.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Teaos wrote:There are so many crap fanships out there which are just a stock stardard kitbash ship, usually a intrepid with Sov nacelles, and with dozens of more guns and a far higher warp speed pulled out their arse.
Not to go too far off topic here (when does that ever happen on DITL :roll:) but my personal favorite are the ones that were designed with a Miranda type Saucer and then a few years later they go back and do an "Upgrade" version, replacing the Miranda Saucer with a Sovereign, if no one knows what I'm talking about I can post a few examples lol.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Don't think I've seen those ones. I did see a fantastically crap one which was perhaps the worse cut and paste I have ever seen. It was pretty much a Nebula with a Intrepid and two defiants stuck on which could apparently seperate into MVAM.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think that is what he is getting at, the whole ship seemed to be a fanboys dream from the 52 disrupters (of which we only see a fraction in action), its "perfect cloak", the uberweapon, the Warp Dragster effect, turning like a zodiac, and the overall size of the thing, its rather ridiculous...
Ah, understood and agreed 100%.