Miranda vs Klingon Bird of Prey

The Next Generation
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Miranda vs Klingon Bird of Prey

Post by Mark »

Since the Soverign vs Scimitar thread is so popular, what are your thoughts about the other end of the spectrum???

I'm seeing two of the smaller ships, both designs well over a hundred years old, slugging it out. Who has it?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Miranda vs Klingon Bird of Prey

Post by KuvahMagh »

I would give it to the BoP, we have seen them take on Connies, even though they have had an advantage in those fights I think they have been updated more than what the Mirandas have which don't seem to have gotten very much over the last few years. The Dominion War is hard to judge by since we witnessed both ships take a heavy pounding but again I think the Miranda took more losses and thus would have to say the Bird of Prey would take it, although it would be a very close match.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

This one is a toughy...
Well, if it is a "new" Miranda (one with all of the newest upgrades available) and and "old" BoP (unupgraded), I'd say7 Miranda, no contest. Same if the other way around.

It would also depend on the crew. If it was Kirk vs Gowron (just an example, I don't care about the time difference), Kirk would win in a heartbeat.

If all was equal (as in, both being modernized and both having about equally skilled crews), I'd guess the BoP, because they appear to be more maneuverable.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Hmmm...This is difficult. The BoP has a tremendous amount of frontal offensive firepower for its size, But the Miranda can trace it through attack arcs and continue to fire at it even when it makes the typical passes that are trademark of Klingon tactics. And the Miranda was designed originally to be a superior craft of weapons and shielding. Upon looking at the DITL overall index, the B'rel wins by just over a hundred points. I think it would depend entirely on the commanding officers.

NOTE: it also depends on which BoP we're talkin about. Is it a B'rel? K'vort? or is it the older D-13 or D-4 models.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

This is almost impossible to do cause we have no idea of the capabiliies of modern Mirandas except they blow up easy.

I'd like to give it to the Miranda just because Federation tech generally seems superior.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's really no way to make a proper comparison here. We have no idea of the capabilities of the TNG era Miranda, and don't really know all that much about the BoP.

In the end, I'd bet on the Miranda, simply because Fed tech is generaly superior to Klingons, and it's designed more inteligently.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A cruiser BoP shouldn't have a problem - it'd rip the Miranda apart.

The scout, on the other hand, would probably get ripped apart. It's considerably smaller than the Miranda and it's less heavilly armed - two disruptors and a single PT launcher, versus fore-and-aft twin PT launchers, a pair of phaser cannon, and six standard twin phaser banks.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'd give it to the Miranda. As Seafort said, the Miranda has far better weapons and I would guess about equal shields next to the BoP. The BoP is much more agile but that isn't the greatest help against SF ships due to their weapons arcs.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

This would be a fun one to play out in a video game, or see on screen. I love the miranda, but seeing as how the BoP defeated a constitution class in TSFS, and how the Miranda was a near match for the Constitution in TWOK, I'd give it to the BoP.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

the TSFS was bypassed like a christmas tree. a single decent hit would be enough to effectively disable the fragilely assembled automations.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Grundig wrote:I love the miranda, but seeing as how the BoP defeated a constitution class in TSFS
A Connie that was already very badly damaged, and was hotwired six ways from Sunday. Kruge was surprised that the E-nil didn't reduce his ship to free-floating atoms, and stated that she outgunned his BoP ten-to-one.
the Miranda was a near match for the Constitution in TWOK, I'd give it to the BoP.
Again, you're not considering the context - the E-nil was caught with her shields down, and Reliant was able to precisely target key systems. The two ships are probably pretty closely matched even under normal circumstances, but the engagements in ST II aren't really representative of typical ship-to-ship battles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Grundig wrote:This would be a fun one to play out in a video game, or see on screen. I love the miranda, but seeing as how the BoP defeated a constitution class in TSFS, and how the Miranda was a near match for the Constitution in TWOK, I'd give it to the BoP.
http://www.slightlysilly.net/modules.ph ... oad&cid=16

Ouick download of a fan built computerized version of an old tabletop Star Fleet combat game. There are Miranda and BOP sprites, and you'll be be able to alter the ships weapon buildouts to try to match Graham's ship stats, for example.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Captain Seafort wrote: A Connie that was already very badly damaged, and was hotwired six ways from Sunday. Kruge was surprised that the E-nil didn't reduce his ship to free-floating atoms, and stated that she outgunned his BoP ten-to-one.

Again, you're not considering the context - the E-nil was caught with her shields down, and Reliant was able to precisely target key systems. The two ships are probably pretty closely matched even under normal circumstances, but the engagements in ST II aren't really representative of typical ship-to-ship battles.
This is true. I forgot that in TSFS they hadn't gotten repairs yet from TWOK. So it kinda took both the Reliant and Bird of Prey to take her down, and there were only half a dozen people aboard vs. Kruge. I think this says as much about Kirk as it does for his ship, really. Tough motha's.
John Cage
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Enkidu wrote: http://www.slightlysilly.net/modules.ph ... oad&cid=16

Ouick download of a fan built computerized version of an old tabletop Star Fleet combat game. There are Miranda and BOP sprites, and you'll be be able to alter the ships weapon buildouts to try to match Graham's ship stats, for example.
Is that for PC only? :evil: Dang it. Stupid capitalism, fostering competitive platforms! Where's communism when you need it?
John Cage
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Where's communism when you need it?
About 300 years in the future.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.