Scimitar vs. Sovereign

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Scimitar vs. Sovereign

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Of course, size is a good indicator. But the fact is that the vast majority of the Cube is just empty space. And then there's probably a lot more devoted to engines, FTL, life support, assimilation areas, and tonnes of other stuff. When it comes down to it, I'd imagine only 2-3% of the entire ship is devoted to combat features.
Which doesn't excuse VOY for surviving, of course. I'm merely pointing out that assuming because something is 9000 times bigger than something else, it must be 9000 times more powerful.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Coalition wrote:True, but Worf can bring in the argument about Enterprise not interfering in the Klingon Civil War, as it was an internal Klingon matter (and the Klingons were definitely warp-capable). If the Enterprise didn't interfere then, they should not interfere now.
In the final analysis, though, Starfleet did influence the outcome by their interference. Perhaps not directly involving themselves in combat, but they certainly had an active part.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

mlsnoopy wrote:The fact that the E-E fired all of its PT and probably QT, that they had only 4% of power for the phasers left before it got disabled made me thinking. That despite the impresive armement that the Scimitar had if you remove the cloake I doubt that it could survive being hit with something like 300 PT.
Despite the innate crappiness that was nemesis, this battle was just epic, and i loved the e-e's phaser lances, just awesome. That being said, if you examine the collision between the two ships, it seems like the enterprise fared better, which tends to lend credence to the fact that the e-e was a more durable ship.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mikey wrote:In the final analysis, though, Starfleet did influence the outcome by their interference. Perhaps not directly involving themselves in combat, but they certainly had an active part.
True, but Enterprise was willing to stay away and let Klingons kill each other. The only time the Federation got involved was when the Romulans (an external party) got involved.

In Nemesis, Worf would argue that Enterprise should stay out of the Romulan Civil War, and only interfere if an outside party (Klingons, Breen, Ferengi, Cardassians, etc) got involved.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Coalition wrote:
Mikey wrote:In the final analysis, though, Starfleet did influence the outcome by their interference. Perhaps not directly involving themselves in combat, but they certainly had an active part.
True, but Enterprise was willing to stay away and let Klingons kill each other. The only time the Federation got involved was when the Romulans (an external party) got involved.

In Nemesis, Worf would argue that Enterprise should stay out of the Romulan Civil War, and only interfere if an outside party (Klingons, Breen, Ferengi, Cardassians, etc) got involved.
OK. All true. Still doesn't negate Starfleet's influence.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Victory is Life wrote:
mlsnoopy wrote:The fact that the E-E fired all of its PT and probably QT, that they had only 4% of power for the phasers left before it got disabled made me thinking. That despite the impresive armement that the Scimitar had if you remove the cloake I doubt that it could survive being hit with something like 300 PT.
Despite the innate crappiness that was nemesis, this battle was just epic, and i loved the e-e's phaser lances, just awesome. That being said, if you examine the collision between the two ships, it seems like the enterprise fared better, which tends to lend credence to the fact that the e-e was a more durable ship.
Its generally accepted that Romulans have shitty shields/armour.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:
Coalition wrote:

OK. All true. Still doesn't negate Starfleet's influence.
From the point of view of "internal affair" vs. "external interference", stopping the Romulans from going in =/= Starfleet getting actively involved.

It affected the outcome, but only in the sense that it prevented further outside interference from determining the outcome. Not in the sense of getting in and actually micro influencing if Klingons would win this battle or lose that one.

And even if we say Duras only ever started the war in the first place because of Romulan aid, then the civil war was never really a pure internal affair in the first place. Starfleet just didn't know that at the beginning.

It's kinda like an argument of "we are influencing Taiwan's internal affairs by not letting China invade Taiwan."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

All true. Still doesn't negate the influence Starfleet exerted. Whether by passive or active methods, Starfleet influenced the outcome. To debate whether they would have inlfuenced the outcome if the romulans hadn't gotten involved is academic.

Welcome back, BTW.
as Bull offed Custer