Scimitar vs. Sovereign

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Scimitar vs. Sovereign

Post by Mikey »

And also, voila! It fits with the frequency basis which you said it didn't.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thats for phasers now explain to me why PT in Q who and Bobw didn't have any affect on the cubes. They are not frequency based weapons.
1) Torpedoes and other explosives have been stated to have frequencies before. It's stupid, but there it is.
2) The PT was able to damage the Cube in Q Who? because it had not yet adapted to the weapon. You'll note that a single Cube tore apart an entire fleet of ships at Wolf 359. That'd be pretty hard to do if it wasn't immune to torps.
And phasing through shields and armour would work just the same.
Since we know precisely nothing about how phase tech works, we can't say either way.
Why do you assume that they were allredy able to recrate the technology. Remeber Voyeger couldn't replicate the doctors mobile emitter.
Voyager was obviously able to replicate the 2-th century tech itself. Unless you propose that future-Janeway's shuttle is actualy a TARDIS, and she brought it all back herself.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

1) Torpedoes and other explosives have been stated to have frequencies before. It's stupid, but there it is.
And the frequency part goes with the shield.
2) The PT was able to damage the Cube in Q Who? because it had not yet adapted to the weapon. You'll note that a single Cube tore apart an entire fleet of ships at Wolf 359. That'd be pretty hard to do if it wasn't immune to torps.
They are not frequency based weapons and they were able to adapt. That was the point.
Since we know precisely nothing about how phase tech works, we can't say either way.

Hm. Whats diffren at going of inside a cube or a Warbird. Nothing. Bum is bum.
Voyager was obviously able to replicate the 2-th century tech itself.
Realy. The central piece of the ablative armor could have been removed from the shuttle. If I'm correct the shuttle didn't deploy ablative armor when it was attacked. And the shuttle also has enough room for the x number of warheads.
Unless you propose that future-Janeway's shuttle is actualy a TARDIS, and she brought it all back herself.
It would be enough to bring just a few critical parts back.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

mlsnoopy wrote:And the frequency part goes with the shield.
Correct. How does this refute the point?
They are not frequency based weapons and they were able to adapt. That was the point.
And the point is wrong. You pointed out yourself that torpedoes, due to their shields, are as vulnerable to frequency related trickery as phasers
Hm. Whats diffren at going of inside a cube or a Warbird. Nothing. Bum is bum.
The point, you deceitful little shite, was in reponse to this:
You wrote:And phasing through shields and armour would work just the same.
Do not move the goalposts.
Realy. The central piece of the ablative armor could have been removed from the shuttle. If I'm correct the shuttle didn't deploy ablative armor when it was attacked. And the shuttle also has enough room for the x number of warheads.
Voyager's future-shielding was not produced from something as small as the shuttle's generator - it was produced from a number of large hull-mounted generators that we saw being installed.
It would be enough to bring just a few critical parts back.
It was not, however, big enough to carry all the equipment we saw being installed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:Then why were they never deployed on the E-E, the most powerful and important ship in the entire fleet, a few years later?
Here's an outside the box idea. Perhaps because the timeline in which they were created was erased, so was the tech. So when Voyager exited the hub and reached Earth, all of her futuristic tech had vanished. What do you think?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I believe that the armour things were still on the hull, but it has been a while since I saw the ep.

However, perhaps future Janeway withheld key information required to replicate the armour so that after the mission was done, there would be limited contamination to the timeline (in her eyes).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I always thought the armor would be one of the easiest things to reproduce in the 24th century. Really all you need is a replicator net on the hull to generate the armor when needed. It could also create new armor to replace whatever was was vaporised.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The armour (or at least the generators) were definately still there when Voyager got home:

As for the issue of replacing the armour, you'd still need to carry a lot of mass of the appropriate materials around, whereas normal shields would only require power to recharge them. It's uncertain whether the armour is sufficiently better to make up for that weakness.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, the armor DID take a pounding that would have turned the shields to swiss cheese.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Initially it did, but the Borg adapted quickly, after which it wasn't much more effective than usual. It was the torpedoes that really made the difference, not the shields.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Agreed. If you think about it though, the tech exists already, it's just a matter of miniturization of the "phase cloak" tech and installing it on an existing torp.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:The armour (or at least the generators) were definately still there when Voyager got home:

As for the issue of replacing the armour, you'd still need to carry a lot of mass of the appropriate materials around, whereas normal shields would only require power to recharge them. It's uncertain whether the armour is sufficiently better to make up for that weakness.
And they did all that without a spacedock and a crew of 150? Wow, Torres must have been Supergirl in disguise.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

:Q engineers in spacesuits.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Boy, do I hate that episode. :roll:

Of course, I guess it was an appropriate ending to VOY: they technobabbled their way home.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Boy this thread has moved on. Sorry for not being able to post for awhile.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.