The type 2 phaser - what were they thinking?

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The type 2 phaser - what were they thinking?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the design of this weapon? It's completely unergonomic, has no trigger guard, no sights of any kind, forces you to hold it in such a way that you can't accurately sight down the barrel, is built in such a way that the end of the gun is obscured from vision (reducing accuracy further) and has virtualy no redeemable features that I can see.

I know, out of universe, it looks that way because it's supposed to be "advanced", but what possible in-universe reason does Starfleet have for designing such a retardedly bad weapon?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The type 2 phaser - what were they thinking?

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the design of this weapon? It's completely unergonomic, has no trigger guard, no sights of any kind, forces you to hold it in such a way that you can't accurately sight down the barrel, is built in such a way that the end of the gun is obscured from vision (reducing accuracy further) and has virtualy no redeemable features that I can see.

I know, out of universe, it looks that way because it's supposed to be "advanced", but what possible in-universe reason does Starfleet have for designing such a retardedly bad weapon?
I believe the explanation has to do with making it look like a tool for when they are on a primitive planet, so they don't give away to the locals that they are space dudes.

And IIRC OU Roddenberry wanted to distance the show from current weapons, feeling they were to militaristic for his future utopia.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not "advanced" as such. It's a result og Gene's vision of TNG Starfleet as a non-military organisation that had a military role as one of its functions. He asked that the phasers be designed to look as if they were not actually weapons, but general purpose tools that could be used as weapons in a pinch. It's basically a future version of having people use sickles and scythes instead of swords. Sure a sword is better, but the idea is that this isn't a soldier, it's a farmer who has ended up in a fight.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I believe the explanation has to do with making it look like a tool for when they are on a primitive planet, so they don't give away to the locals that they are space dudes.
I think even that is OOU grasping at straws, rather than an IU statement, although Riker did try and blag his way out of just such a problem (with singular lack of sucess) in "First Contact" (the episode, not the film).

As for the "weapon", the only good thing I can think about it's design is that you can easily check the power setting while aiming it. Somewhat damning with faint praise.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I believe the explanation has to do with making it look like a tool for when they are on a primitive planet, so they don't give away to the locals that they are space dudes.
So why arm their entire military with it? If that's the case then I can understand having a couple dozen on the ship in case you need to go down to such a planet, but to arm your entire crew with them?
And IIRC OU Roddenberry wanted to distance the show from current weapons, feeling they were to militaristic for his future utopia.
That would fit with him, all right.
Not "advanced" as such. It's a result og Gene's vision of TNG Starfleet as a non-military organisation that had a military role as one of its functions. He asked that the phasers be designed to look as if they were not actually weapons, but general purpose tools that could be used as weapons in a pinch. It's basically a future version of having people use sickles and scythes instead of swords. Sure a sword is better, but the idea is that this isn't a soldier, it's a farmer who has ended up in a fight.
Did the phasers actualy have any non-military use? Aside from heating up rocks and killing people, I don't remember then being some sort of multi-tool.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote: I think even that is OOU grasping at straws, rather than an IU statement, although Riker did try and blag his way out of just such a problem (with singular lack of sucess) in "First Contact" (the episode, not the film).
Yeah, I tthink it was the only time it was mentioned.
As for the "weapon", the only good thing I can think about it's design is that you can easily check the power setting while aiming it. Somewhat damning with faint praise.
Aliens did that better anyways. As did STV.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
So why arm their entire military with it? If that's the case then I can understand having a couple dozen on the ship in case you need to go down to such a planet, but to arm your entire crew with them?
I'm sure I don't need to remind you that for a good portion of TNG, they claimed not to be a military organisation and Picard and Riker openly scoffed at the idea of wargames. It's not hard to see where that attitude would lead.

That would fit with him, all right.
I think I've said before that Roddenberry had a good concept but was poor at execution, the vibrator phasers weren't his only shite idea that made it into TNG.

Did the phasers actualy have any non-military use? Aside from heating up rocks and killing people, I don't remember then being some sort of multi-tool.
I believe they used it as a cutting torch a few times.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Did the phasers actualy have any non-military use? Aside from heating up rocks and killing people, I don't remember then being some sort of multi-tool.
There's the common "heating rocks" scenario, they used them to blast through rock walls a couple of times, used them to set fire to some substance once to lay down a smoke screen, and tried to cut through a door on DS9 (failing miserably I might add). Compared to countless examples of shooting people. Then again, this is an organisation that's fighting a war one episode, and claiming that they aren't a military the next. Coherent doctrine isn't exactly their speciality.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Some more stuff to complain about;
I don't see that they have a saftey.
Two buttons over the trigger, with each half of a button for a function (left for widening and narrowing the beam, right for increasing or deacreasing beam strength) You can't "quickly" reset to the beam strength you want.
You have to break line of sight and "adjust" the weapon, which takes you out of a firefight for crucial seconds.
No apparently easy way to swap out a used power cell.

And on the small type ones, if your not careful how you place your hand, you could vaporize your own finger!!!

Not the best design at all IMO
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So the answer simply boils down to incompetence?

Well there's a shock.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Seems Starfleet had a bit of a dishonest streak in them when they designed those phasers. They wanted weapons that didn't look like weapons to fool the local populace. They call them tools, but use them to shoot people.

It's like going to a pipe shop and buying a bong saying your only going to smoke tobacco out of it. Who's kidding who?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Seems Starfleet had a bit of a dishonest streak in them when they designed those phasers. They wanted weapons that didn't look like weapons to fool the local populace. They call them tools, but use them to shoot people.

It's like going to a pipe shop and buying a bong saying your only going to smoke tobacco out of it. Who's kidding who?
You know a hash bar on the E-D would have explained a great many things.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:You know a hash bar at Starfleet R&D would have explained a great many things.
Fixed.

Honestly, aside from safety issues - much easier to check power settings, etc. - I can't think of the design as anything but a way to make the weapon (call it what it is) anything but less easy to use.

As far as arming the crew for true, foreknown combat situations, we did have the Type-III's; the DS9 type weren't perfect, but at least they had pistol grips and a stockl (poor one that it was.) Then we get to the FC type, which were even better. Finally, we go backwards to the VOY type, which looked like they were devilishly unwieldly to pick up a new target in combat.

One can reason that no such development was made for the pistol because pistols weren't intended for true battlefield purposes; although IMHO I'd have liked to have seen at least a few well-designed combat pistols for the same usage as modern militaries put them to - officer's weapons and limited-space scenarios.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:As far as arming the crew for true, foreknown combat situations, we did have the Type-III's; the DS9 type weren't perfect, but at least they had pistol grips and a stockl (poor one that it was.)
They gave them stocks in DS9? :? I thought they gave some of them sights, but otherwise they were the same design as TNG - half decent SMGs, but nothing beyond that.
Then we get to the FC type, which were even better. Finally, we go backwards to the VOY type, which looked like they were devilishly unwieldly to pick up a new target in combat.
I think they stopped using the Voyager ones at some point, when the ship seemed to magically accquire the FC design.
One can reason that no such development was made for the pistol because pistols weren't intended for true battlefield purposes; although IMHO I'd have liked to have seen at least a few well-designed combat pistols for the same usage as modern militaries put them to - officer's weapons and limited-space scenarios.
They already had some decent pistols - the STV & VI designs, complete with a mechanism for checking the power cell/cocking the weapon, and the magazine extended out of the base which made it easier to check if there was one in and to change it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It really doesnt look like a easy to hold gun. In combat and with sweaty hands it would be damn easy to drop.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.