Cause and Effect

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Cause and Effect

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"NX" was probably the official designation it was given during its construction. They may not have picked a class name at that point. As such, the name NX would remain in usage simply because it would be far easier than changing the name.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Now the question remains, why did the writers choose such a shit name for it?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because they're morons.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

"NX" was an experimental or prototype designation (as opposed to "NCC") during the UFP era. B&B obviously just couldn't figure out that they were writing in a different timeframe.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

True, although that got sorted out later as the Columbia was NX-02, rather than an NCC. That suggests that "NX" in this case is a project designation, rather than a generic prefix for all Starfleet vessels, with the ships' official names being linked to the production run, just as the present shuttles are official designated "OV-01", "OV-02", etc.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Maybe because NX was easy to spell??? :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

NX is easy to spell like USA, but "the," one of the most commonly used words, often ends up "teh." :? Does anyone else also have the problem of spelling "fo" instead of "of" when typing fast?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I alpso have a problem with spelling "also" as "alpso".
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I invert "Of" a lot. I also hit the "w" key instead of the "E" key when using my laptop and the ":" instead of "L".
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

At least you don't have a French keyboard. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, man those keyboards sucked. :x
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm hugely guilty of "fo" and "teh."
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'm usually alright with common ones like those - mainly because I can glance back through my post and spot them. It's the longer words where I can produce some truly odd arrangements of letters. :|
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

My typos are mainly due to my fingers going faster than my brain's editorial function, rather than an actual inability to spell a word.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

My typos don't involve diverting the converation away from its original topic, which of course was "Cause and Effect" :bangwall: Watching it last night, I noticed how terrible the ship explosion was. It looks as if the nacelles were being pulled off by invisible wires. I know they were going for a big boom, but it was bordering on "Clash of the Titans" type SFX.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?