Cause and Effect

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Cause and Effect

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I did, several years ago actually so I can't really remember all of it. That's what sparked my curiousity. Sure, the Captain became the "senior most" Captain in Starfleet, but I'm thinking of little Lieutenant Larry and Ensign Erika. Surely they would have needed a "refresher" course being several decades behind before being allowed to rejoin the fleet.
IIRC most if not all of the crew stuck with Bateson, first on the old Bozeman, then on the E-E, and finally on the Bozeman-A. Understandably - after the experience of being chucked several decades into the future they wanted to stick together with people who knew how they felt.

Though I think my favourite bit of the book was the appearance of the E-E's first Chief Engineer. :D
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Now THAT part I DO remember. Somehow, he can always manage to figure out his way around an engine room :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I can over look the "scratch of doom" thing pretty easily and just enjoy the episode, it is very entertaining.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree that if you ignore the idiocy that surrounds the whole episode it's pretty good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed on all points - the fragility of the E-D was ridiculous, but the ep was well-produced and performed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote: blew up his torpedo pod and buckled his hull with torpedo impacts, and Reliant survived
just a days work :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I really like the Reliant's design. It looks awesome, and the way it was portrayed in TWOK made it seem real tough, like CPH said.

The Galaxy Class looks neat, but always seemed like a peacetime vessel to me. Considering that TNG was pretty philosophical (vs. action/combat oriented), it fit the bill pretty well, IMO.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Just out of curiousity, did Trek ever use the name "Reliant" again on another starship? I don't think that they did. I wonder why?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Probably because they realised most people would identifty the name Reliant with TWOK. Much the same as they never named another ship the Excelsior I imagine.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I always assumed that once a ship had a class named after it, they wouldn't use that name again. That's why we never saw another Constitution, Excelsior, Constellation, Miranda, and so forth. Am I wrong?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps, I don't know.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It does seem to look that way
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The only exception to this I have ever noticed was the Earth Starfleet Class Intrepid. But that's easily explained away, as that was before the Federation Starfleet. It also provides a good reason why Enterprise, which has traditionally been Starfleet's flagship never had an Enterprise-class made. So the name could and would stay available to future ships.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Depends on your point of view - it's not uncommon to see the refit-Connie referred to as the Enterprise class.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.