Cause and Effect

The Next Generation
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Cause and Effect

Post by Grundig »

IMO, this is a great episode. There's plenty to YATI about, but it's really well-done in terms of acting, and in terms of drama. Seeing the ship blowing up over and over is pretty fun, too. The whole destruction sequence is awesome - each time it's seen from a slightly different angle. This is my nomination for Best Teaser Intro - not that we're having a contest. My only complaint is that it's too dark to watch outdoors on my iphone :P

Here's a youtube video of the opening sequence (plus a little extra).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4_vTdcI-LM

One other thing - the alert sound that's going off after the ship's nacelle explodes - I'm assuming that's the 'Abandon Ship' klaxon, right? We've never heard it elsewhere, have we?
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Weyoun the Dancing Borg
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Re: Cause and Effect

Post by Weyoun the Dancing Borg »

OBSCENE IMAGE REMOVED
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not a fan of this episode. The whole "scratch the nacelle and you're f*cked" thing annoyed me to no end.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I have to agree with Rochey on this. There were other ways they could have done it. Death blow to the nacelle was lame.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I guess it makes the E-D look pretty fragile. I think some OOU limitations kept them from animating a more crippling collision, but I thought at the time that it looked pretty cool. That's the first time we saw two ships collide in Trek, IIRC.
John Cage
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It wasn't exactly good for the E-D's reputation. In ST-II, Enterprise completely blew off one of Reliant's nacelles, blew up her torpedo pod and buckled her hull with torpedo impacts, and Reliant survived until Khan set off the Genesis device. Later on, Voyager endured punishing damage, particularly in "Year of Hell," and was always good as new by next week. E-E survived ramming Scimitar.

Most unfortunately for the big E, this doesn't point to a difference in the toughness of ships from different eras. I guess all we can say is that she was one of the first of her class, and was exposed to inordinate amounts of danger from various phenomena of the week.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I guess all we can say is that she was one of the first of her class, and was exposed to inordinate amounts of danger from various phenomena of the week.
None of which have any bearing on this incident. The E-D went up due to getting a minor impact on the starboard nacelle, not because of quantum or the alien of the week. That such a thing can happen to any ship, regardless of its intended role, is insane.

Also, I just noticed something interesting. The E-D gets hit in the starboard nacelle, yet it's the port side nacelle that actualy blows up. What the hell is going on there? Is the E-D really so unstable that a hit to one side of the ship will cause the other side of the ship to blow up? That's even worse than I thought!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I think main systems went down before the impact, presumably because of the distortion in spacetime.
John Cage
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:OBSCENE IMAGE REMOVED
What was this about? Tantalizing.

As for the episode: Great episode. Way back when TNG was released as single video episodes, it was one of only 5 episodes I owned. Love the appearance by Kelsey Grammar too!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What was this about? Tantalizing.
Weyoun went on a spam fest throughout the forum posting sexual images in various threads, which were then deleted. We're not sure, but we think his account may have been hijacked.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

How long was the Bozeman caught in the timeloop? Why didn't any of their crew experience Deja Vu?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's not entirely clear whether the Bozeman was ever caught in the loop - it was simply thrown through time, and ran into the E-D, without being caught in the time loop itself.

As for how far displaced from their own time they were - about ninety years.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I had a thought. Do you suppose that the crew of the Bosemen, who chose to remain in Starfleet, would have had to go back to the acadamy for a couple of years? After all, ALOT of things had happened to the interviening years. How do you guys think that was handeled?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Read "Ship of the Line". Non-canon of course, but it's a good read, and it gives a fascinating look at the Bozeman's crew both before and after their little jaunt into the future.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:Read "Ship of the Line". Non-canon of course, but it's a good read, and it gives a fascinating look at the Bozeman's crew both before and after their little jaunt into the future.
I did, several years ago actually so I can't really remember all of it. That's what sparked my curiousity. Sure, the Captain became the "senior most" Captain in Starfleet, but I'm thinking of little Lieutenant Larry and Ensign Erika. Surely they would have needed a "refresher" course being several decades behind before being allowed to rejoin the fleet.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.