Weekly Warinificationness

The Next Generation

Who'd win in a pre TNG/DS9 era conflict between the Romulans and the Cardassian Union?

The Romulan Star Empire?
88%
The Cardassian Union?
12%

Total votes: 17
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Weekly Warinificationness

Post by Granitehewer »

Righty, i haven't got the time to actually contribute anything and reading the posts will probs push me into a state of insomnia but would someone like to continue this thread,fleshing out and envisaging a romulan-cardassian war, say TNG/DS9 era, pre-Dominion War?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Weekly Warinificationness

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm going for the Romulans. They seem to be more powerful and larger.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i went for the Obsidian Order surpassing the Tal Shiar in Intelligence Gathering Operations('The Wire'-although purely may have been Odo's opinion), the cardassians being inventive&innovative with sensor shadows and warp ghosts (or whatever, 'soldiers of the empire') and the fact that almost every romulan intervention from 'Enterprise' onwards, is foiled, see my previous extensive and tedious post on that subject,lol.
Had 5hrs of exams today so am not articulate,apologies,folks
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Cardassians have a decent military and competently design equipment (and, apparently, a proper army :o), but they're still a local power at best.

The Romulans are one of the Big Three.

The Cardies are in way out of their depth.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Romulans. Their ships seem more powerful than the top Cardassian warship at the time. They have cloak technology as well. The Star Empire I assume is much more massive. The Romulans are always watching, presumably waiting for the right moment to strike so they have the patience for strategy. They are powerful enough to threaten the Federation and the Klingons into an Alliance. Since they are one of the Big Three, I will also assume they have superior industrial might compared to the Cardassians. The Romulans may not even need to use their full military might. Just fight the Cardassians until the Cardassian economy collapses. Hell, the Romulans can just show up right on Cardassia Prime's orbit, uncloak a fleet of 80 Warbirds, that alone will terrify the Cardassians into surrender. Since the Romulans would prefer territory rather than policing and controlling more subjects, they'll just take some star systems from the Cardassian Union as compensation for the war, and the Cardassians will be happy they don't become subjects of the Romulan Star Empire.

I don't think highly of the Cardassians, in comparison to the Big Three.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Romulans without question. Even if they are militarily weaker, their economy is far more capable than that of the Cardassian union.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The Romulans win my vote.

The Klingons are a good measuing stick for their relative strength. The Klingons have never been able to successfully invade the Romulans, yet they struck into Cardassian space quite effectively.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I see the Cardassians and Romulans being pretty close in terms of "fifth column" operations - wetwork, espionage, misinformation, etc. - but the Romulans seem to have a pretty big edge in numbers, technology/ship strength, and ability to replace attrition. RSE gets the square.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RSE. Cloak means you get a few Warbirds to bombard key systems, mission over. Cardassian technology is clearly weak and likely wouldn't work well in a massive offensive, meaning the lack of Romulan defense wouldn't be a huge problem.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

In AGT the KE beat the RSE in a short war that was by the way the crew of E-D talked about it, a very bloody war. I don't think the Klingons are a good form of measure.

My vote is on the CU. I have a problem with thinking to highly of the RSE in a major war on their own. In every battle they failed to hold their flank during the DW. Twice they were turned and once even lost their flagship and needed the SF to save them. While the RSE is strong enough to keep the UFP and KE from going to war, I don't see them as being anywhere near strong enough to match either. In fact, I see them as the smallest and weakest of the big three. If the KE and the UFP go to war then the RSE could defeat one of them or both of them. Otherwise the RSE couldn't hope too match.

As for a war against the CU. I see the CU winning since it has shown a great ability to replace losses in both ships and personnel. Their ODPs though flawed were beaten by SF not the Romulans so I could also see the RSE suffering some great losses to them. The D'D while tough ships fail to last in standing battles, a place that the CU has shown itself to be pretty fair at. The RSE would seem to me to take war as a defensive matter. When thinking about how fast the CU builds ships, I would see the RSE quickly falling behind. While the D'D would be a good ship to start they are too large and to few to both protect the RSE's borders and engage in a war with a power so far away. Galors and Keldons would be much faster to produce and in numbers would quickly eat away at any advantage the RSE may have had at the start.

I would like to know what people think about how the RSE could face down the CU in a war? Am I the only one who thinks that the RSE made a very poor showing of itself in the DW? The CU has never shown a shortage of ships nor has the RSE ever shown itself to outnumber them in any way.

PS, why isn't there the choice for vote change on this thread?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Romulans win by a country mile.

Their special secvices are about the same power but the Romulans beat them everywhere else.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

How so is my question? I really think people are over guessing the Romulans and under guessing the Cardassians. I've never seen the RSE win a war with anyone. Yet the CU was able to draw against the UFP. To win a war you have to take the fight to the enemy. The RSE has shown no ability to do this what so ever.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The Romulan empire has a far stronger economic base than the Cardassian union. as far as i can see that is.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That doesn't win a war.

Finland v Russia.

I'm asking, what makes the RSE so able to defeat an enemy that it has shown to be unable to beat everytime they meet in battle? CU always seems to eat up the RSE fleets. So what makes the RSE win? I haven't seen a good answer for this.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That wasn't the CU. That was the Dominion fortified CU. The Romulan empire hasn't been seen in combat with the Cardassians to my knowledge.