Speed Limit

The Next Generation
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Speed Limit

Post by Mark »

What ever happened with that retarted warp 5 speed limit Starfleet was supposed to be imposing? I've heard in mentioned that it brought about the next generation of warp nacelles, but I've never heard that Galaxy class ships and older still followed that "Speed Limit".

Did I miss something?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Speed Limit

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:What ever happened with that retarted warp 5 speed limit Starfleet was supposed to be imposing? I've heard in mentioned that it brought about the next generation of warp nacelles, but I've never heard that Galaxy class ships and older still followed that "Speed Limit".

Did I miss something?
I believe there was a single mention in a later TNG episode giving Picard permission to exceed the limit, I don't recall it being mentioned after that.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It was quietly dropped as a bad idea.

When Voyager came out, rumours ran rampant that the tilting nacelles were part of a new innovation in warp drive which avoided the damage to subspace that they caused. Even Rick Sternbach, who designed Voyager, made this claim - while freely admitting that the real reason for it was that "the producers wanted something a bit different about the ship".

In-universe, one can only presume that they did find some solution to the problem, perhaps with tilting nacelles for Voyager initially, but then with standard nacelles as they improved it or something.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I agree. I was a VERY bad idea. Of course, it could have been used to give some comic relief. Could you see Enterprise getting "pulled over" by a police craft, and given a "ticket". They could have made the dialog with Data and Worf HILARIOUS.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:I agree. I was a VERY bad idea. Of course, it could have been used to give some comic relief. Could you see Enterprise getting "pulled over" by a police craft, and given a "ticket". They could have made the dialog with Data and Worf HILARIOUS.
I thought it had potential, show the problems that would result as the Federation slowly broke down due to shipping restrictions. Have them increase frieghter production and runs to cope, parts now in short supply etc.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Was this meant to be a universal limit? The impression I got was that this "corridor" was especially susceptible to warp-related damage a/o had been particularly heavily traveled, hence the need to limit speeds though the region.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I would have rather seen a 1.5 minute vignette after an ep with the entire production team saying, "Listen, we're dropping this, because even we figured out how stupid it was."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I think it was a universal limit, that corridor just suffered more damage the most parts of space - due to the high traffic - so the problem became apparent there sooner.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well considering how crippling the speed limit was I imagin they tried to find a way around it pretty damn quickly and by the looks of it they did.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Well considering how crippling the speed limit was I imagin they tried to find a way around it pretty damn quickly and by the looks of it they did.
Yep the way around it was to ignore it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That seems like what happened. Starfleet simply decided "screw that" and went back to business as normal.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its like global warming, if we ignore it, it will go away.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

I suppose it depends on how many times an area needs to be travelled over in order to damage subspace and how large the radius of damage is from the ship, and if subspace can "fix" itself if given time. If the radius of damage is small and subspace can repair itself then I suppose a travel scheme could be worked up that would have no 2 ships per decade (for example) travel the same exact route. Consider the vastness of space--while typically most ships would travel on the shortest distance--it wouldn't cause a significant delay to adjust the route of each ship a thousand meters or so.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I read that global warming doesn't really exist, and is a myth. It was on a magazine, therefore MUST be true. :mrgreen: