Speed Limit

The Next Generation
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Speed Limit

Post by kostmayer »

I agree with most of the faults pointed out about Nemesis, but I usually find myself watching it whenever its own. Its just entertaining.

The battle, flawed tactics or no, is great fun to watch. And as silly as they are, the dune buggy scene, and Data and Picards escape aboard a fighter are good.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That's the thing with Nemesis - the set pieces are great. The problem is that there's little or no coherent plot tying them together. Even the battle was a bit of a letdown owing, as Rochey's pointed out repeatedly, to the Scimitar's somewhat anaemic firepower. The sight of the E-E finally cutting loose in a sustained firefight was great though.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I will agree with you guys about the battle sceens. Starship battles are one of my absolute favorite things about Trek, if not my favorite, and Nemisis did have some AWSOME ship battles.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For instance there's six arrays on the aft dorsal saucer of a Sovereign. We haven't seen them all fire. And we know they are there because they are on the model.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

Rochey wrote: In fact, if there was a massive power difference between the guns to the extent that they don't even bother firing them, then what's the point of building them onto the ship in the first place? It would be a massive waste of resources.
To provide good coverage in case the ship is attacked by a swarm of smaller vessels?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

GrahamKennedy wrote:For instance there's six arrays on the aft dorsal saucer of a Sovereign. We haven't seen them all fire. And we know they are there because they are on the model.
Is it possible that these were acutally smaller and less powerful phasers for "other uses"? Like the above mentioned smaller ships?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Anything's possible. But that argument can apply equally to the Scimitar.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Anything's possible. But that argument can apply equally to the Scimitar.

Agreed. Possilbe, but unlikely.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

To provide good coverage in case the ship is attacked by a swarm of smaller vessels?
You'd expect them to use those guns when the two Romulan ships attacked them were that true.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Maybe the tactical officer just couldn't get his hands to the appropriate buttons in time, and took the next shot instead. I've often thought that two weapons officers would be better than one. They could divide the firepower between them, and be able to focus better on their field of responsability.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yes, but that would be intelligent.
Though I do agree, more than one person pressing the fire button would be a good idea.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

In fact, if there was a massive power difference between the guns to the extent that they don't even bother firing them, then what's the point of building them onto the ship in the first place? It would be a massive waste of resources.
To be used in fleet battle when there is a larger number of weaker ships.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh. Nemesis id fine if you take it for what it is - 'Trek-themed shoot-em-ups, a cast wrap-up, and Picard's new huge brass ones.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

"id" fine?

:-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Damn typos. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"