The Genesis Device

The Next Generation
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Genesis Device

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yay! This again! :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Didn't we have this argument alerady? There's nothing to suggest it's possible to use the thelaron weapon under cloak.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'm not suggesting you fire it under cloak just prep it. And since the prepping seems to be moving the arms it seems very reasonable to assume it can get the weapon ready while cloaked. It wouldnt have to be uncloaked for more than a minute, and considering the amount of defence (bugger all) that would be more than enough.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think it's safe to say that prepping the gun involves charging it up. As such it would take up large amounts of energy (particularly if you plan to spread the effect over an entire planet's surface).

Then again, given Starfleet's complete lack of defence around its important worlds, I wouldn't be surprised if the Scimitar could just sit in plain sight until it charges the thing up enough. :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I cant remember perfectly but I believe La Forge or Data said that the time to firing was mainly the arms moving into position, once in position we could visually see the weapon its self powering up when Picard and his evil twin were fighting, didnt seem to take more than a minute.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The arms (they were actualy targetting systems of some sort) moving into position happened relatively quickly. It then sat there in front of the E-E doing pretty much nothing. The logical conclusion is that it was charging up its thelaron core during that period.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When we see the small one work in the senate we see it open up, do that double helix spiral thing and then kill everyone.

We see the one on the Scimitar do the same thing and it again takes less than a minute, there is nothing to show it takes any longer than that to charge up. The rest of the time is the arms and ship preping which it could do while cloaked.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The ship was stated to take 7 minutes (IIRC) to charge up enough to kill everyone on the E-E. The arms/wings opened up far quicker than that. Ergo, it was obviously waiting for something else.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The arms took quite a long time to unfold, they seperated, folded out, shifted into position, had the end bits open up.

It took a long time. *goes searching on youtube for footage*

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

After looking around Youtube I found the following clip in which Geordi explains: link

Geordi explains: "When the targetting arms are fully deployed, the matrix on the bridge will relay the thelaron radiation to the firing points at their tips." which proves your point nicely.

Consider my point conceded.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah well considering your hatred of the movie its hardly suprising you dont remember it perfectly :P

Now if you wanna rag on Insurection I'm right behind you.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, believe me I do. F*cking space amish.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The point remains that the Klingons were able to frag a planet with a standard loudout in TNG: "The Chase."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Define 'frag' in this context. Did they blast the major cities? All cities? Blow up everything on the surface? BDZ the planet? Literaly frag the planet Death Star style?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Define 'frag' in this context. Did they blast the major cities? All cities? Blow up everything on the surface? BDZ the planet? Literaly frag the planet Death Star style?
Sorry - in this case, it means "completely eliminate the biosphere and render the planet completely uninhabitable by any form of life."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer