Holodecks

The Next Generation
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Holodecks

Post by Mark »

I've often wondred about this. Their are only a few of them on board any starship, and they strike me as the most popular recreational facility on board any ship or station. So if their is only 1 holodeck for every couple hundred people, how does ANYBODY ever get a turn? Yet they always seem open if someone want to walk in without a reservation. It seems like they are never in use. I wondered. Are holodecks only open to certain people? What are your thoughts?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Holodecks

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:I've often wondred about this. Their are only a few of them on board any starship, and they strike me as the most popular recreational facility on board any ship or station. So if their is only 1 holodeck for every couple hundred people, how does ANYBODY ever get a turn? Yet they always seem open if someone want to walk in without a reservation. It seems like they are never in use. I wondered. Are holodecks only open to certain people? What are your thoughts?
I'd say to be fair you'd have to assign time based on rank/time served/duty/whatever. Sort of like a points system. Because (at least according to Voyager) they use a lot of energy, it makes sense that they'd be reserved most of the time to high ranking crew members and plot-needed children such as Wesley and Naomi =)

*I'm aware this is illogical, but it should work on a points system.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

You are right that the things would be in tremendous demand 24/7, yet whenever a member of the main crew wanted to use one there was always one available, including Barkley. Not only would they be used for recreational purposes, I could see them often being used for training (i.e. Tuvok in that stoopid Voyager episode Learning Curve) so the amount of time available would be pretty darn short. So maybe crew members would be able to pool holodeck time; if you were using it alone, you only got a certain amount of time per month, but if you were planning something involving a group, you could combine your time.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd imagine the crew get a certain amount of time per week they can use.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Barclay managed to have a lot of time in them. Maybe people trade time for stuff.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would make sense. A sorrt of barter system would naturaly crop up in such a situation.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Barkely: Give me your holodeck time, and I'll scrub the plasma conduits for you.

Yeah I can see that happening.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe more of "I'll give you Z replicator rations if you give me X of your minutes in the holodeck".
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or, "I'll give you my holodeck time if you let me watch" :happydevil:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.