Data's use of contractions

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Data's use of contractions

Post by Bryan Moore »

Due to his programing, Data cannot use contractions in his speech, and this becomes one of the catalysts that helps Riker to discover Barash's first ploy in "Future Imperfect." Are there any places where the writers/Brent Spiner slip a throw in a contraction in Data's speech? I vaguely remember spotting one in some time in Season 6, but there must be one elsewhere, based on the number of lines.

Nitpicky or not, anyone remember?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

At the end of "Datalore", Data says, "I'm fine".

Peculiar that it was in an episode that emphasised Data's inability to use contractions as a way to distinguish the two!
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

When there are three Datas at the time rip in "We'll Always have Paris", they wonder which one is the "real" one. One of them says "It's me!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:When there are three Datas at the time rip in "We'll Always have Paris", they wonder which one is the "real" one. One of them says "It's me!"
IIRC, one of the Nitpicker's guides also cited that as bad grammar for our intrepid android.