Enterprise D - Staffing Breakdown

The Next Generation
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Enterprise D - Staffing Breakdown

Post by Bryan Moore »

Okay, lets see if we can come up with some sort of departmental staff breakdown that would be logical for the Enterprise-D. Even if we keep it basic... 10% officer, 10% security, 15% medical, etc (numbers not realistic).

What do we think?

I'll start off: No more than 30% officers, so 300 officers, 700 enlisted?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Enterprise D - Staffing Breakdown

Post by Mikey »

Can't be. In all of 'Trek, I think I saw one current enlisted man and one retired.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, I remember reading somewhere that Enterprise carried around 300 civilians. Picard once stated that Enterprise had 1,024 people aboard, so that would leave roughly seven hundred starfleet personel. I think my breakdown would be 50 officers of Lt Cmdr and above, 150 of the Ltjg and Lt grades, 100 or so ensigns (don't want TO many rookies in the same place) 50 or so seinor enlisted (to babysit) 200 midranked enlisted (to actually do the work) and around 150 junior enlisted, still learning proverbially not to pee into the wind.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:Well, I remember reading somewhere that Enterprise carried around 300 civilians. Picard once stated that Enterprise had 1,024 people aboard, so that would leave roughly seven hundred starfleet personel. I think my breakdown would be 50 officers of Lt Cmdr and above, 150 of the Ltjg and Lt grades, 100 or so ensigns (don't want TO many rookies in the same place) 50 or so seinor enlisted (to babysit) 200 midranked enlisted (to actually do the work) and around 150 junior enlisted, still learning proverbially not to pee into the wind.
50 officers of Lt. Cmdr and above seems absurdly high!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Mark wrote:Well, I remember reading somewhere that Enterprise carried around 300 civilians. Picard once stated that Enterprise had 1,024 people aboard, so that would leave roughly seven hundred starfleet personel. I think my breakdown would be 50 officers of Lt Cmdr and above, 150 of the Ltjg and Lt grades, 100 or so ensigns (don't want TO many rookies in the same place) 50 or so seinor enlisted (to babysit) 200 midranked enlisted (to actually do the work) and around 150 junior enlisted, still learning proverbially not to pee into the wind.
50 officers of Lt. Cmdr and above seems absurdly high!
Granted, I'm guessing, but with the exception of then Lieutenant Worf, each department head was a Lt Cmdr. I'm guessing that each science division had it's own dept head, (like the captains girlfriend). One for the marine biology dept, one for xenobiology, one for zoo ology, one for astrophysics, one for stellar cartagraphy, and so on and so forth. I don't feel that its unreasonable to guess at a ballpark of 25 or so different science teams, considering the main mission of the ship, so there are 25 Lt. Cmdrs right there. Factor in the main characters, again discounting Worf as a Lt, and never counting Wesley that brings the count up by 6 more to 31. Now, assuming Enterprise got some of the best doctors out there, we can most likely assume a couple more of equel rank (under the CMO of course) with specialties like alien medicine, pediatrics (kids aboard), and so on. To keep it even, let's say 4. Now we're up to 35. Then we have the thankless and gloryless tasks we would NEVER see on the show, like the poor schlubs in the admin section, like personel and so forth. Figure a few more trickeled in there, and it's not so absurd after all, don't you think?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Star fleet seems to have an over large number of officers. I wouldnt be suprised if a GCS could have 50+ of them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You'd imagine they'd at least be refferenced in the show, though.

As far as I see it, we have about a dozen or so people of LT CMDR rank or higher, with large amounts of lower-ranking officers and a moderate amount of enlisted personel.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Why would the head of marine exobiology need to be a Lt. Cmdr.? That kind of top-heavy organization is worse than the current US military.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. Particularly considering that there'd probably be only about a dozen people under him.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Some of the Science heads could be Civillians who have been given a nominal rank to allow them to function, likely under some sort of term contract...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but I doubt those ranks would go as high as lieutenant commander. Simply lieutenant would do.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Most likely yes, I was just saying that that type of thing should be taken into account when looking at Rank Distribution.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, right.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:True, but I doubt those ranks would go as high as lieutenant commander. Simply lieutenant would do.
Thats more what I was thinking. No more than 10 Lt. Commanders tops, I'd think. I always thought the Enterprise/Enterprise-A was silly by the movies. Captains Kirk, Spock, Scotty... Commanders Chekov, Uhura, McCoy, etc
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Rochey wrote:True, but I doubt those ranks would go as high as lieutenant commander. Simply lieutenant would do.
Thats more what I was thinking. No more than 10 Lt. Commanders tops, I'd think. I always thought the Enterprise/Enterprise-A was silly by the movies. Captains Kirk, Spock, Scotty... Commanders Chekov, Uhura, McCoy, etc
It worked as far as TMP thru IV. In TMP you had high ranking officers, true, but I did not think it was really out of hand. McCoy had retired and Chapel had logically stepped up as Doctor, Chekov was a lieutenant, the others I think either commanders or lieutenant commanders. And in II they were instructors so you would expect high rank due to seniority. V is sort of out there on it's own and I really do not want to touch it, but by VI everyone should have gone their seperate ways. Personally I would have loved to have seen Chekov as Sulu's XO and Chapel as his CMO, Uhura as Kirk's XO, Scotty working as an administrator at some shipyard and Spock resigned his commission to work with his father. Then the band gets back together for one last tour.

I think it would have been awesome to see Sulu dealing with Chekov and Chapel like Kirk did with McCoy and Spock. Have Chekov and Chapel agreeing all the time and Sulu saying how it just did not feel right. :)