Uniform fashion sense

The Next Generation

What was your favorite uniform style?

Enterprise jumpsuits?
4%
TOS colored tunics and pants (or mini skirts!!)?
4%
ST:TMP grey "pajama" styles?
No votes
ST II-VI classic wraparound tunics style?
61%
Early TNG jumpsuits (or mini skirts for men?!)?
4%
Standard TNG and Voyager colored tunics and slacks?
No votes
Early DS9 reverse colored tunics and slacks?
No votes
Late DS9 and TNG movie style colored tunics w\grey jacket and slacks?
29%

Total votes: 28
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Uniform fashion sense

Post by Mark »

I could never understand why any branch of any kind of orginization would want to so radically and frequently change styles of uniforms over the years. Can anybody come up with some ideas why they would want to? Share your thoughts.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Uniform fashion sense

Post by KuvahMagh »

The only 2 I really liked were the ST-2 style and the FC style. The Ent ones fit well with their timeframe though so they were nice, the TOS ones (non Turtleneck style) were pretty nice but they were plain, TMP, the less said about that the better, TNG later style wasn't bad, the Early DS9 and Voy were horrible.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Anyone who doesn't vote Trek Movies or First Contact is a communist. That is all.

I actually appreciate the unisex miniskirts in TNG, however. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy wearing one, but the idea of gender equality in uniform is a forward-thiking idea.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Bryan Moore wrote:Anyone who doesn't vote Trek Movies or First Contact is a communist. That is all.

I actually appreciate the unisex miniskirts in TNG, however. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy wearing one, but the idea of gender equality in uniform is a forward-thiking idea.
True. I just hope none of those forward thinking guys went "commando" while wearing one. :worried:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:Anyone who doesn't vote Trek Movies or First Contact is a communist. That is all.

True. I just hope none of those forward thinking guys went "commando" while wearing one. :worried:
But think of all the "Captain's Log" jokes that could be made if Picard did such a thing.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Making males and females where the same uniform for equality is ridiculous, they both have a different anatomy and thus require a specific design...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

KuvahMagh wrote:Making males and females where the same uniform for equality is ridiculous, they both have a different anatomy and thus require a specific design...
Fair enough, but in a jumpsuit, there are no reasons the externals can't look very similar.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I voted for the latter version grey uniform. It looks more professional.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Mark wrote:

But think of all the "Captain's Log" jokes that could be made if Picard did such a thing.
:::writes on chalkboard:::

Point for Bryan

:laughroll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I like the TNG-movie/later DS9 types, but I had to go with the ST II-IV ones. They just look more professional, with a jacket and all.

I also like the TMP ones, but more for a late -70's coke and champagne session at Studio 54 than for crewing a starship. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:I voted for the latter version grey uniform. It looks more professional.
That's exactly the reason I voted for the maroon wrap around tunic. Professional and classy. Closest thing to an actual "uniform" in my opionion. Everything before and after, while cool (always excepting ST TMG greys) but I always thought to colorful to be a uniform.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont like the wrap around because it looks a little bulky and cumbersome. Also the wool undershirt looks ugly.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I dont like the wrap around because it looks a little bulky and cumbersome. Also the wool undershirt looks ugly.
You just used "wool" and "ugly" in the same sentence! You could have your Kiwi card revoked!
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

What always got me about those jumpsuits that they wore in DS9 and TNG Mov era was the pants and the elastic that goes under your boot, that is so a kids thing... that and the boots themselves which just look horrible...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, they look better if you see them in their "arctic conditions" mode, with the mittens clipped on to the sleeves. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer